Building plans for Dayton portable speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was making some plans for my speaker building project, which will be a bluetooth portable speaker, with parts from parts mostly from Dayton Audio. Is kind of new to this whole thing so was wondering if i could get some feedback on the parts i have chosen etc. so i can make some improvements on the plan before i get started.

amplifier: Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50W Class D
Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0

woofers: 2 x Dayton Audio ND140-8 5-1/4"
Dayton Audio ND140-8 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Neo Driver 8 Ohm

tweeters: 2 x Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1"
Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter

The enclosure will be wood with a suitcase like shape, and each woofer will have separate chambers that will be 10-12L of space when the sound dampening material and the electronics is in place. Each chamber will be ported with a 2" port that will be around 8 inches long.

WinISD.PNG

Wanted to make my own Crossovers so used VitiuxCAD to create a schematic which gave me this frequency response graph. The crossover is set to at around 3000hz.

FrRes.PNG
CrossoverSchema.PNG

The board has two 50w channels so the tweeter and the woofer goes in parallel for both channels. This will make crossover work a lot easier as well.

For the batteries i was thinking about using the 3 or 4 of the Dayton Audio KAB-BE 18650 Battery Extension Board. (Dayton Audio KAB-BE 18650 Battery Extension Board for Bluetooth Amplifier Boards). With 3 3000mah batteries on each board gives the system approximately 27000-36000 mah at 12V.

Thanks in advance for feedback, and if people are interested I can post updates with pictures from the build as I go.

Last edited:
I reckon that you have not included baffle step response into the simulator, yet. Perhaps you should upload the boombox drawing and designate where you'd like the drivers installed. An 84 dB driver on paper, once in free space loses good 4-5 dB, so right now you filter has room for improvements.

Here is the original design i was thinking about, its 60cm x 20cm x 30 cm. Thinking it might be better off being 40 cm tall instead though because with 30 cm it might be little room between the port and the back side of the woofer. And i need to fit the electronics in the back as well, and 40 cm will make it more spacious.

Sketch.PNG

Have another design I just made thats a little bigger, and its 2 ports per chamber instead of 1 port and moved the ports to the front to reduce the velocity of the air, and the length requirement to get the tuning frequency i want of 54hz. The box measurements are now 50cm x 30cm x 40cm.

Sketch_2.0.PNG

Wow can't get XSim to work properly, but that graph looks pretty damn nice. Yeah the baffle will be 50cm wide and 40 cm tall. I can do the exact same thing for both left and right channel right? That equates to around 50L inside of the box, actually gives around 15-20 L per chamber after electronics and dampening material. Any thoughts on dampening material btw?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Sure, once you find a satisfactory filter, then it's the same for both of the speakers. Damping material was never critical. Whatever suits the purpose. Some line the cabinets, some stuff, some mix both of these. I stuff the enclosures to a degree that I am certain all standing waves will be suppressed and leave some space for free vent air flow.

Was thinking about lining it, because idk if the stuffing will absorb moisture if i bring it outside. Here is how my XSim graph turned out:

XSim.PNG

Used the FRD and ZMA Files from Parts Express, the ones at 0 degrees. How did you calculate baffle step into the frequency response curve? And is the baffle step the only reason our graphs look kinda different?

There is at least three details that make it appear different, baffle step, vent loading and added delay. Assuming drivers are on a flat vertical baffle, the woofer is a bit further in the Z-axis than the tweeter. A half of an inch or a little more as a rule of thumb. I am using excel spreadsheet Response Modeler to add baffle step and reflex loading to original frd and create a new zma.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.