Choosing a tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of altec model 1's for 5 USD today. I cleaned up the veneers and the cabinets are really nice, all I have done is glue the surrounds back on. One tweeter is FUBAR though. I need some advice on how to proceed. I would like to simply replace the tweeters and be done around $100. Alternatively, I could gut them completely but I don't want to make a career out of this. Any recommendations for tweeter replacements or advice in general will be appreciated. Thanks

Attempt to post a picture

Attachments

• 15316698755737596379596466244857.jpg
    15316698755737596379596466244857.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 189
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm not really one to say that one thing isn't worth the effort unless the evidence is clear. I don't know that you don't have a gem in this one, so my advice is to choose the tweeter you want regardless. Personally I like cone tweeters, even though I don't use them (I use compression tweeters for my main system), however I use full range drivers for my garage system which have some qualities along the lines of cone tweeters. It is likely you will need to make some crossover changes regardless.

That opening for tweeter looks big enough to accomodate 2-3" fullrange. Completely new crossover would be required though, but the result may be satisfactory good sounding speaker. I recomment small faitalpro, they have high efficiency and power handling.

Interesting. Elaborate on this if you'd like to. Are we talking about eliminating the other driver completely?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.