Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ferrofluid tweeters
Ferrofluid tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2018, 12:09 PM   #11
nigelb63 is offline nigelb63
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
You are quite right, Bon:



What a complete waste of time this thread is! The Ariel, Part I
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/scan...000-374-p.asp; says here they are ferrofluid damped. Also, this thread is not a waste of time as clearly I’m worrying over nothing. Thank you for all of your responses.

Last edited by nigelb63; 14th July 2018 at 12:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelb63 View Post
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/scan...000-374-p.asp; says here they are ferrofluid damped.
From the Scanspeak site
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2905-950000.pdf
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2905-970000.pdf
Reading the key features, the 950000 clearly mentions ferro-fluid whereas the 970000 does not. It is reasonable to infer that the 970000 is ferro-fluid free. Wilmslow would appear to have it incorrect on their page.
__________________
Bon
"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess." Oscar Wilde.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 12:37 PM   #13
Michael Chua is offline Michael Chua  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Michael Chua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calais, ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
... but the sound is pretty vague and honestly, weird.
I heard the same thing with my Peerless H26TG45-06 horn tweeter. The highs disappeared and the entire speaker sounded like out of sync. I eventually removed all the ferrofluid and the H26TG came alive.

Here's how to remove the ferrofluid from the H26TG45-06.
__________________
ampslab
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 01:02 PM   #14
nigelb63 is offline nigelb63
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
From the Scanspeak site
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2905-950000.pdf
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2905-970000.pdf
Reading the key features, the 950000 clearly mentions ferro-fluid whereas the 970000 does not. It is reasonable to infer that the 970000 is ferro-fluid free. Wilmslow would appear to have it incorrect on their page.
Hi Bon, yes I see now. Out of interest, what does the schematic at the bottom refer to? Also a second order Butterworth is highlighted with an asterisk. I have been attempting to design a a two way Butterworth third order crossover(driver is a volt BM220.8). Would I be better off opting for two separate filters, starting with a second order Butterworth for the ScanSpeak?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 01:58 PM   #15
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelb63 View Post
Out of interest, what does the schematic at the bottom refer to? Also a second order Butterworth is highlighted with an asterisk. I have been attempting to design a a two way Butterworth third order crossover(driver is a volt BM220.8). Would I be better off opting for two separate filters, starting with a second order Butterworth for the ScanSpeak?
The schematic is the electro-mechanical model for the driver. The data values unfortunately is not listed, but it is not really of practical use for crossover design. The mention of the second order Butterworth high pass filter is stating the conditions under which the power handling is measured. It is only a guide for typical operating conditions. In my projects, I usually set the tweeter high pass around 2.4-2.5 kHz. It depends greatly on the performance of the chosen mid-range in the crossover region and just above.
__________________
Bon
"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess." Oscar Wilde.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 02:22 PM   #16
nigelb63 is offline nigelb63
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
The schematic is the electro-mechanical model for the driver. The data values unfortunately is not listed, but it is not really of practical use for crossover design. The mention of the second order Butterworth high pass filter is stating the conditions under which the power handling is measured. It is only a guide for typical operating conditions. In my projects, I usually set the tweeter high pass around 2.4-2.5 kHz. It depends greatly on the performance of the chosen mid-range in the crossover region and just above.
Thanks for your advice
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Ferrofluid tweetersHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eton TW without ferrofluid ? diypass Multi-Way 0 10th September 2014 05:52 AM
Free ApexJr tweeters (1 pair) sans ferrofluid badman Swap Meet 7 31st August 2014 03:10 AM
New Use for Ferrofluid? sdclc126 Multi-Way 4 20th December 2012 01:02 AM
Where to buy ferrofluid ? thylantyr Multi-Way 9 10th May 2005 07:42 AM
Do not understand ferrofluid. tade Everything Else 10 5th May 2005 01:27 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki