Morel TSCM 634 Break-in Time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I just received 2 new Morel TSCM "midrange" drivers. Has anyone opinions and experiences on break-in time for these? Right out of the package they sound good (ie OK) but NOT great. I have some Alpair 7P driers that have WAY more resolution and quicker transient response, etc. I'm hoping this is maybe just a break-in issue! BTW, I have the Morels in a closed box (about 1/2 ft^3) with 50% stuffing, running straight, no X/O.

If not, these are going back soon!!! No way do these Morels sound like they are worth $400 each when the humble MA 7P's can do WAY better for less than 5 times the price!

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Actually, they don't even sound as good as some 5 1/4 in. Radio Shack paper cone drivers I had in the '70's! I really am beginning to think this is not a break-in issue but I will give it a week. I am losing my faith in those that gush about this and that driver; reviews and reviewers after all are just someone else's opinion; you know what they say about opinions!...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Whilst from the factory specs they look to have a pretty extended response, I would not think that comparing them to an alpair (when I assume the duty they will perform is pure midrange) is a fair comparison. The alpair is designed to be used as a single driver solution the morel clearly is not.

What frequency range were you intending to run them? 1/2 cubic foot box may be too big if you intend to use them from say 200Hz up. To truly gauge whether they are good or not, I would say you have to run them in the intended range, not just listen to them full range. A cross to a tweeter between 2 and 3Khz looks to be the ball park.

Tony.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Whilst from the factory specs they look to have a pretty extended response, I would not think that comparing them to an alpair (when I assume the duty they will perform is pure midrange) is a fair comparison. The alpair is designed to be used as a single driver solution the morel clearly is not.

What frequency range were you intending to run them? 1/2 cubic foot box may be too big if you intend to use them from say 200Hz up. To truly gauge whether they are good or not, I would say you have to run them in the intended range, not just listen to them full range. A cross to a tweeter between 2 and 3Khz looks to be the ball park.

Tony.

Yes, I realize that it may not truly reach up to 8 KHz or even 6 KHz but I was hoping for at least 4KHz. Right now, this thing sounds like a 1970's 10 or 12 inch woofer, transient response not there at all. Too rounded off for anything trying to call itself a midrange. I'll give it a week like I said; others have really reported liking the sound of these and even using them "fullrange", etc.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
For a fair comparison I would say you would have to roll both it and the other drivers you are comparing to, off actively at whatever the upper limit you would be running it to. So if you wanted to run up to 4Khz then when comparing, do an active filter at 4Khz say 2nd order LR and use the same for all drivers compared to. That I think should give you a relatively unbiased subjective comparison.

I modeled it it 14L and it looks like transient response should be pretty good, either with walls covered or heavy fill, 9L may be better for pure midrange duty.

Tony.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
For a fair comparison I would say you would have to roll both it and the other drivers you are comparing to, off actively at whatever the upper limit you would be running it to. So if you wanted to run up to 4Khz then when comparing, do an active filter at 4Khz say 2nd order LR and use the same for all drivers compared to. That I think should give you a relatively unbiased subjective comparison.

I modeled it it 14L and it looks like transient response should be pretty good, either with walls covered or heavy fill, 9L may be better for pure midrange duty.

Tony.

I will give it more time as I said and I realize the comparison to the Alpair is like apples to oranges but I was expecting higher resolution, quicker transients, etc. to match with a high quality ribbon or horn super tweeter. It's possible my 7P's have spoiled me!?? There is a reason for all of this; I need much greater output above 10KHz, starting as low as 8KHz since I am in my 60's! I was hoping to experience a "near full-range" mid flat to at least 4KHz and only slightly rolling off above that. Long story but I MUCH prefer no crossovers between 400 Hz to 4KHz. People can argue this all day long but, for me, I am VERY sensitive to this mid-band. I think it is because I am a former musician.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Fostex T90A horn super tweeters should be here today. I also have some Aurum Cantus G3Si ribbons to try. Today I am feeding the TSCM's very low bass, 1Hz to 50 Hz to loosen up the suspension members. I have started hearing more treble which is a good thing. High resolution, fast attack, transients, etc. are NOT apparent (at least not yet!). I'm hoping the low bass frees these things up SOON! Piano notes, trumpet notes all still sound very much like there is a thick blanket on them. More updates and details later; eventually I'll get out the test CD's. I need a new measurement mike and software; any good cheap ones out there various people have tried and liked???

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1090-peerless-830874-specifications.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Danlt123/Downloads/6in%20SB16PFC25-04%20REV-2%20(2).pdf

So far, the above Peerless and plain Jane SB drivers I have on hand take things to another level compared to the very expensive Morel. They are both way more open, truthful and engaging so I'm thinking the Morels are going back. So far at least, they don't even sound as good as $30 to $50 mid-bass; certainly not worth anywhere near $400 each!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1090-peerless-830874-specifications.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Danlt123/Downloads/6in%20SB16PFC25-04%20REV-2%20(2).pdf

So far, the above Peerless and plain Jane SB drivers I have on hand take things to another level compared to the very expensive Morel. They are both way more open, truthful and engaging so I'm thinking the Morels are going back. So far at least, they don't even sound as good as $30 to $50 mid-bass; certainly not worth anywhere near $400 each!

SB Acoustics SB16PFC25-4 6" Woofer

sorry, the SB link didn't open in the last post, trying again

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes and part of that good design is using the drivers within their limitations :) It may well be that the morels are not as good as some of the cheaper drivers, however the only way I think you could fairly compare the drivers mentioned (on their own) is actively crossing each and every one of them exactly the same way both at the intended lower and upper frequency cross points, and also ensuring that the levels are matched.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.