speakers made from gourds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the first set I made using crappy coaxial drivers. they sounded terrible.

this set is based on a focal component system for car stereo's

link to driver spec

I've got them hooked up to a NAD S300 (way too much power) with an iPod as the source.

The sound quality is supprisingly musical (but nothing near my linn aktiv setup in my living room) but lacks bass authority and the tweeters are a bit too directional for the listening arraingement (this system is for my bedroom).

I've stuffed the gourds full of foam to damp them...

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions on ways to improve the quality of sound... different drivers, different configurations, tweaks... let me know!

Thanks,
Ross

rbarna said:
this set is based on a focal component system for car stereo's...The sound quality is supprisingly musical...I've stuffed the gourds full of foam to damp them...

why not try aperiodic loading...but then u say it lacks bass to begin with...wonder why? i think it is an interesting design. is the basket of the bass unit properly sealed against the body of the gourd? if not that might be the reason for the lack of bass.

rbarna said:

I've stuffed the gourds full of foam to damp them...

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions on ways to improve the quality of sound... different drivers, different configurations, tweaks... let me know!

To gain some bass try to place the stuffing inside loosely (use poly fill rather than foam!), I don't think the gourds will resonate too much at audible levels.

hisgourd.jpg

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.