Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2004, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pics from the DIY Meet

I'll probably do some more editing later but here's what I've got so far.

http://www.alegriaaudio.com/pictures..._audio_mee.htm
Old 19th April 2004, 02:06 AM   #2
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pretty nice pictures Tim.

But the question that is on everybody's lips (well those that couldn't attend the meeting that is )

How did they sound ?
Old 19th April 2004, 02:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

"They"? Are you talking about the Isa? Well, I hooked them up to the Plinius amp they rocked pretty good. I got some good comments and with some power behind them the bass response really kicked in. I'm pretty happy. The other speaker of mine that got many positive comments is the BV1. With the AV20 pushing them they got a nice punch going. That, along with the bipole configuration gives them a very open sound. Of course, many people have been waiting for the smaller XBL2 powered drivers. The MTM from CSS is just a wonderful speaker. I could listen to those all day. Also, I think Aaron's Emerald Towers are quite nice. One of the smoother setups I heard.

Jean-Pierre: I'm going to figure out a way to get you the plans for the Isa. Give me a couple of days.
Old 19th April 2004, 04:21 AM   #4
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree with Tim
The 4" MTM came out very well from the comments I got.
In the 4 days up to the event I built the X92 ported bookshelfs, Fullrange 3" Tline in solid Maghogany ,then the cabinets for the MTM 4" XBL with a new ribbon tweeter, no not the G2 a new tweeter Bob at CSS is looking into getting.As well as a MT using the X92 and this same tweeter these never made it to the show.

So the design on the 4" XBL MTM was done in a 30 minute time frame at 10:30 friday night as the drivers just arrived Thursday from the manufacture.

Last talk is the 4" is a go just which frames and what split 4,8,16ohm in the order.Round frame to trunk frame.Great for MTM or a LINE ARRAY.
And yes i did get the van loaded friday night to hit customs for 6 am.on Saturday
And even though i priced all those other designs to move them out at $120.00 for a MTM ( not the new XBL 4" MTM ) I thought was a loss just to cover a little of parts i did end up putting them back in the van to come home.Now try one last time to sell them on line then sell off just the parts and junk the cabinets.

I did like to see the Jordan design that was in the works as well as a few others.
Room was tight with that many speakers to show off for sure.And with 3 rooms going not everyone got to listen to every speaker that was there.
Even the Spires never made it on the list to play.
Just not enough time.

was a blast.
I did think the north creeks needed about 40-50 more screws in the cabinets.

Al
Old 19th April 2004, 09:07 AM   #5
Wright is offline Wright  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Wright Send a message via MSN to Wright
To fit any more screws in there I think I'd have to lose the drivers.
Well...might make them lighter at least

George
Old 19th April 2004, 12:28 PM   #6
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tim: I'm sure glad you gave us some insight on the Isa. Sounds good to me. I'm also glad you mentioned others designs as well. Are you (or someone else) going to write a more in-depth review of the speakers shown at the meet ? That along with a with to get in touch with the designers would be a real nice touch to those interested in DIY speaker building.
Old 19th April 2004, 12:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Like Al said, there wasn't enough time to get around to listen to everything, and that's if you're just a spectator. If you're one of the hosts you have even less time. That makes me highly dependent on the people that heard the speakers to offer their opinions. If anyone would like to e-mail me their thoughts on a particular design I can add them to the web page.
I have a dream, a dream that we can have a big Meet and hear everything there.......
Old 19th April 2004, 03:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Like Al said, there wasn't enough time to get around to listen to everything, and that's if you're just a spectator. If you're one of the hosts you have even less time. That makes me highly dependent on the people that heard the speakers to offer their opinions. If anyone would like to e-mail me their thoughts on a particular design I can add them to the web page.
I have a dream, a dream that we can have a big Meet and hear everything there.......
I really enjoyed the event and as you say it was just not possible to be everywhere. . There were a lot of really great sounding speakers there! It was really wonderful to see and hear all the different approaches and share ideas about them.

It would be very helpful if Tim is able to collect and summarizes thoughts about the different designs. Perhaps there will be some comments from those really concentrating on certain designs or comparisons. But I think that opinions more likely will be formed from a patchwork of comments from various people.

For me it was not really a "shoot out". To do that objectively I personally would need to do that with music I am familiar with and room placement I could play with. That was not the situation here. The purpose here was to be able to give a listen to as many as possible and be able to talk to the builder about there choices, impressions, ideas etc.

There were some designs I liked better than others but I hesitate to advance my thoughts as a true comparison because I was often standing in different parts of the room, speakers were different distances from the wall than optimal, I was unfamiliar with the music etc. Overall there were a huge number of speakers that cause me to say "I would be glad to have those in my house".

Unless someone steps forward with some true "reviews" I imagine the closest we can get is a "patchwork" of impressions.

To the folks that brought electronics: Great enclosure work ! I appreciated the discussion of your techniques and sources. Great headphone amp! It is the best headphone set up I have ever heard. Opened my eyes to what is possible.

Thanks Tim and the folks from Adire, CSS, and Raw Acoustics!
Old 19th April 2004, 03:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Was the Adire coaxial The Kosala (HE10.1 kit)?
Old 19th April 2004, 03:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think the HE10.1 was in the Multi-way room and sealed 281s were in the Single-driver room.

I had hoped to get opinions from the judging forms but that wasn't happening either. I will consolidate any opinions that are sent to me and and them to the web page presented as a "general impression" type comment.

Hide this!Advertise here!