Pics from the DIY Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, now I'm starting... :rolleyes:

The MTM 8546's did give me a chance to finally understand a little what folks are talking about, in regards to how the kevlar drivers differ from the carbon paper. This is just off hand and I really can't back up what I say, but I felt that the 8546's had more detail to them than the 8545's I use. I heard detail in one CD I brought that at first I thought it was mistracking in the CD player, but when I listened again, it was the leather on an accordion creaking. Very interesting, given the "ehh" CD player on hand. I didn't have the chance to try that on any other speakers. I only wish I was on hand for the North Creeks, would have been interesting.

I wish I knew my foot would go lame on me, and that I would have been picked up in a truck, or I would have had my speakers to bring. I couldn’t help but think how fun it would have been to compare *and* take down stairs to hook up to those super subs. I was hoping there was a killer sub sat system set up to have a little bit of a crank fest with, I have a disk called "The Digital Domain" and it has some really fun dynamic stuff to it... Oh well.. next time.

Oh yeah, the little MTM's in the front office sounded *much* better with the little sub. That was a nice little combo. Strait out full range, they sounded stressed. There was a hollowness that made it sound like the boxes were resonating or something, made them sound small. Again though, with that little sub in place, very nice, looks like a sweet little package. That was a neat little sub.

John,

I'm sorry I missed you when we were running the Rhythm's, I would have liked to get your thoughts on them. Perhaps you can bring your speakers by sometime and we'll have a little comparison; who knows when though as both my roomates are studying for the MCAT's right now and they're always reigning me in on the volume. Nerds! On the bright side, I just ordered "The Digital Domain" :D

George

I was one of the many people floating around the place that day. I had a great time meeting and talking to other audio nuts like myself. I did not get to listen to everything but that was okay with me. There was so much gear there that it wouild not be possible to give everthing a fair go anyway. I really enjoyed hearing all the various pieces of gear and discussing designs with other people. I must say thank you very much to Tim for putting it all together and to Adire for providing the venue. I was impressed with the projects that Tim presented those RS 1197 bipole TL's were great. I really like the Nelson Pass mono block amps. The sub woofers were fun (too big for me though). The prototypes from CSS were also great.
Thanks again Tim

I had a great time, and my twin Tumults with '250 W' plate amps were a big hit.

johnkramer said:
Between blasts from some subs elsewhere...

Well, maybe we overdid it down in the warehouse. :D

I was amazed to see the Tumults cabs shaking and flexing at high levels. They are 19" sealed cubes, double 3/4" MDF, no bracing (built by Acoustic Visions), and are very heavy.

What I learned: bracing is good, very good.

What I already knew: Tumults do not need insane amounts of power.

And I greatly regret not being able to hear more than a few speakers.

Thanks to Al Wooley for the tips on getting my truck bed liner finish to look better, and thanks to everyone who helped organize the event.

Attachments

• painted cab small.jpg
    painted cab small.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 199
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.