Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators Build
Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2018, 09:58 PM   #11
PedroDeMio is offline PedroDeMio  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Board for one speaker done

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th August 2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

Very nice project. Looking forward on seeing how it turns out.
Old 8th August 2018, 02:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

With help from you guys (Crossover Design - When to use driver offset? (Dz)) I've made a few modifications and optimization to improve the power response and also manage to remove one inductor while keeping the response as close as possible to a LR 4th order acoustic

Inductors are ordered, should be a few days to arrive since they are custom made. For capacitors and resistors I will see if I can source them locally

Old 8th August 2018, 03:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Laminating. First time doing this, glad we did the bottom first as already learned what to do and what not. My grandpa is helping in this part

Old 8th August 2018, 05:06 PM   #15
Jonhny is offline Jonhny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Looks very good!
How much EQ are you going to add in the bass frequencies?
Old 8th August 2018, 11:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhny View Post
Looks very good!
How much EQ are you going to add in the bass frequencies?
Expected is 10dB at 40Hz with a Q of 1,12 if I remember correctly, but that should be to achieve a perfectly flat response, letís hope that I can get a full sound with less because the more boost I add the less maximum output I can get before running into power and excursion limits

What would be great for this box is a multiband compressor, this way I can limit the bass without compromising the maximum output. Itís what almost all portable Bluetooth speakers do

Unfortunately the cheapest way Iíve found to that is using two Mini DSP 2x4 per speaker, and that still too expensive
Old 9th August 2018, 10:08 AM   #17
Jonhny is offline Jonhny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think 7-8dB will get you very far and allow enough SPL. Having the speaker reach down to 40Hz is in my mind very important. 50Hz makes it sound like a bluetooth-speaker. Is it possible that you can adjust the bass EQ depending on volume?
Old 10th August 2018, 02:31 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

That's exactly what I wanted, you can easily do that with the multi-band compressor

Unfortunately I didn't find any stand alone board for that, only using multiple mini DSP's or integrated in pro amps like the iNUKE

If anyone know how to do that let me know.

Only on the finished box the max volume can be determined, the plan is to adjust the gain using lots of songs, mainly bass heavy ones so it never runs into clipping no matter what is fed

Also finished gluing the wood, after sanding the corners it looks amazing, honestly I didn't thought it would end up this good

Now only need to sand a little more and apply varnish

Old 10th August 2018, 09:44 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

It works!!!

At first I tough the filter wasn't working, but the trimpot is a 30 turn one and I had only turned 5 or so

The amp needs more voltage as it is distorting a bit, not sure exactly what I will do, for the stationary one is easy, will order a 28V power supply and should be good

the tweeter is not wired yet

The audio recording quality is not great, when the crossover is ready I will use the UMIK

YouTube

Old 11th August 2018, 07:21 PM   #20
tmuikku is online now tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDeMio View Post
That's exactly what I wanted, you can easily do that with the multi-band compressor

Unfortunately I didn't find any stand alone board for that, only using multiple mini DSP's or integrated in pro amps like the iNUKE

If anyone know how to do that let me know.
Sure has small adau1701 based DSP board:

Sure Electronics' webstore DSP

Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators BuildHide this!Advertise here!