2-way speaker measuring 12ohm impendence?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just confirmed with a commercial speaker at the terminals and it read 5ohms so i think my test is fine.

schematic is super simple.. capacitor inline with tweeter, inductor inline with woofer. no resistors or anything else. both share positive and negatives at the terminal ( not biamped)

This is not so weird. Most likely your "4" ohm speakers are in series. The resistance of the speakers are usually 3-4 ohm . This would give you 8 ohm for just the speakers. Most likely you are using an inexpensive inductor that has a high DCR, somewhere around 3-4 ohms. I would check across each woofer individually, as well as the inductor just to be sure. The woofers should be within 1 ohm of each other.

just confirmed with a commercial speaker at the terminals and it read 5ohms so i think my test is fine.

schematic is super simple.. capacitor inline with tweeter, inductor inline with woofer. no resistors or anything else. both share positive and negatives at the terminal ( not biamped)

im using a jantzen iron core inductor which is supposed to have low DCR, but yes speakers are in series. is there a better inductor i can be using? id like to get as close to 8 as i can.

So which is it ?
Can you draw it for us or upload some pics ?
And whats the inductor DCR ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.