Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3D printed tweeter waveguides
3D printed tweeter waveguides
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Jamii is offline Jamii  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 3D printed tweeter waveguides

Gents,

I noticed the new 3D Builder tool in windows today, it's childs play generating shapes, I thought it would be fun to brainstorm some tweeter waveguide designs. A bit of a conical / lecleach Frankenstein, to be mounted to a baffle.

I don't have much CAD experience, but this took me about an hour to whip up a couple of variations.

I wonder if this would be hard to convert to a simulation, how would one go about that?

Be cool to refine the design of my own waveguide through some simulations and get them printed as an experiment

Cheers
JB
Attached Images
File Type: png Tweeter Waveguide.PNG (204.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: png Tweeter Experiment.PNG (254.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: png Backside.PNG (100.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
peroz is offline peroz  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I am also interested in simulations. I have a 3d printer and some hobby cad experience, and would love to know more. I tried simulating some phase plugs with axidriver once, but never quite understood how to read the results.
Old 25th June 2018, 01:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know how accurate Hornresp is for tweeters, I haven't had time to input in these waveguides as an experiment.

Playing around with the 3D builder, it is extremely fast to knock together some shapes but is very very limited compared to Sketchup. I don't think I'll bother using this software, it's fast to use but feels very "toy" like....

I wonder if there's a CAD plugin that lets you simulate this sort of stuff. I did watch a video by AvE where he designed an ultrasonic cutting head using CAD, which output a frequency "response" graph of the ultrasonic "horn" that he built....
Old 25th June 2018, 04:40 AM   #4
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

See this thread:
Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

Augerpro has been at this for a while and some good simulations pop up toward the end of the thread. Lots of good info here.
Old 26th June 2018, 12:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks mate, appreciate the link!!

3D printed tweeter waveguidesHide this!Advertise here!