Speaker driver measurements: 5-8" Woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Much in the same way as my existing 2-4" midrange/fullrange driver testing, I've decided to publish measurements of larger woofers I have on hand too.

The format is the same as previous testing of smaller drivers with the addition of a new test method to evaluate bass distortion.

To start us off we have a group of four 6.5/7" woofers. I'll hold off writing my interpretations of the measurements until I have a few more measured and a better idea of the baseline performance.

You can view the measurements and commentary here:
Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Any feedback is always appreciated. Cheers!
-Tim

I've finished testing nine 6.5"/7" woofers and have added commentary and ratings for them.

Drivers tested:
ScanSpeak 18W/8545K00
Usher 8945A
SEAS CA18RNX (H1215-08)
Vifa NE180W-08
Dali Ikon 6 MK1
Fountek FW168
Dai-ichi W6S-52
MCM 55-5665
Response CW2194

I've added an Le(x) test which gives some insight into intermodulation distortion, especially important for woofers which are used for both bass and treble, such as in a conventional 2-way with a dome tweeter.

It seems we have a large group of drivers over a wide price range which do some things well and other things not so well, but I'd say there are no particularly poor performers overall.
We also have a few very high performing woofers that are a significant step up from the rest.

Link to results

Excellent! Good to see that there were no stinkers. Also good to see the NE180W-08 measuring so well. That range appeals to me due to the "Excellent ventilation all around thanks to the tiny neodymium motor" - they look like bargain versions of the SS illuminators.

May I submit drivers to you for inclusion in these tests?

I've finished testing nine 6.5"/7" woofers and have added commentary and ratings for them.

Drivers tested:
ScanSpeak 18W/8545K00
Usher 8945A
SEAS CA18RNX (H1215-08)
Vifa NE180W-08
Dali Ikon 6 MK1
Fountek FW168
Dai-ichi W6S-52
MCM 55-5665
Response CW2194

I've added an Le(x) test which gives some insight into intermodulation distortion, especially important for woofers which are used for both bass and treble, such as in a conventional 2-way with a dome tweeter.

It seems we have a large group of drivers over a wide price range which do some things well and other things not so well, but I'd say there are no particularly poor performers overall.
We also have a few very high performing woofers that are a significant step up from the rest.

Link to results

Can you put a Volt BM220.8 on your list please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.