Seas H0489 P17REX/XF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I seem to have 6 of these things, never used.

Does anyone have experience of them - or access to a crossover design?

I'm looking to make something like a Loki, but I only found info on Loki MkIII (and some on MkII). I'm not actually sure that they would have been used in the original Loki.

P17REX

I have never used or seen the co-ax but the P17REX woofer was an excellent driver and I have it in a 2-way I have had for 15 years or more. One of the better drivers of its day. It was used in a SEAS kit called the Embla. The link below will take you to the Embla kit write-up, including speaker data and crossover. The kit called for an aluminum tweeter but at the time they made a very similar fabric dome tweeter -- 25tffc (H519) which I used as a drop in with the Embla kit crossover. It looks like the co-ax has a 25mm fabric dome, so I would suggest trying the Embla crossover.

https://www.sterremuur.nl/manuals/Speakers/Embla.pdf

Last edited:
The Seas Embla is one way of doing things with the classic 6" polycone. TBH, IMO it falls into the "All to often seen" school of simplistic crossovers.

Seen one 6" polycone, and you've seen them all. The best current polycone is possibly the Peerless 830874.

IMO, 6" speakers have such awful time-alignment and low rolloff problems that simple stuff can't fix it.

The best design I have seen for 6" polycone is the old Heybrook HB2. So good you can still buy an updated version: WA HB2 Loudspeaker

It's a BW3 design. Even works in either tweeter polarity. With higher order filters, the electrical response of the filter dominates and almost any well-behaved driver works. Lot to like there. Couple of schoolboy mistakes, IMO, but the young Peter Comeau did a good job. A classic speaker. :cool:

Since you have a glut of midbass drivers, A TMM conversion would be fun. It would be interesting to know if your Seas midbasses have 26 or 39mm voicecoils. Have a look. Tweeters won't be hard. A modern 1" Seas unit would be easy enough, though I'd be tempted to fit a VifaXT25 type ring radiator these days.

Oh wait, it's the coaxial version... http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/h0489_p17rexxf.pdf

I think I wasted my time there... :eek:

Attachments

• SEAS Embla Crossover.PNG
    SEAS Embla Crossover.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 472
  • Heybrook HBN Clone Electrical.PNG
    Heybrook HBN Clone Electrical.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Heybrook HB2 Clone FR.PNG
    Heybrook HB2 Clone FR.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Heybrook HB2 Clone Circuit.PNG
    Heybrook HB2 Clone Circuit.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Seas P17RC-TV.JPG
    Seas P17RC-TV.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Heybrook HB2.PNG
    Heybrook HB2.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Having had a think about this, it looks like the SEAS crossovers are very similar for all the various co-axials. I include an older (Loki II?) one for interest, because it's a contender.

All around 2.8kHz. I think I would have a stab at the Loki III crossover. Worst that can happen is the midrange is a bit recessed, IMO. Maybe a 1.8mH would help that.

These crossovers are fairly basic, IMO, but fairly typical of horn-loaded tweeter designs. You would probably have to fiddle around with tweeter level too.

Attachments

• S7 SEAS Loki III Crossover.PNG
    S7 SEAS Loki III Crossover.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 139
  • S7 T18REX-XFC SEAS H1353 FR.PNG
    S7 T18REX-XFC SEAS H1353 FR.PNG
    86.2 KB · Views: 123
  • S7 SEAS H1144 T18REXTVFC Crossover.PNG
    S7 SEAS H1144 T18REXTVFC Crossover.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 110
  • S7 SEAS P17REX-XF H0489.PNG
    S7 SEAS P17REX-XF H0489.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 91
  • S7 SEAS T18REXTVFC H1144 FR.PNG
    S7 SEAS T18REXTVFC H1144 FR.PNG
    77.7 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.