Putting together home system, speaker choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as far as the Intrusive 1899s go, those seem badass but i would honestly like to ask, what is the difference between them, a speaker that isnt even a speaker yet thats almost $1000, to a PA speaker thats a 1/4-1/3 of the price , Peavey 215s for example, not arguing just honestly dont know minus i do know that there is a difference.

The kit has good components. The horn shape and system design have been chosen to get an even sound field over a wide listening area.

Cheap PA speakers often don't sound as nice, the sound field is often more uneven, and they typically have less bandwidth and less power handling than is advertised.

I own an example of the last point. The cheap PA speakers (shown in this thread Unknown sensor in port )
...were advertised as 50Hz-20kHz, but in reality, the stock (unmodified) system is only flat 100Hz-10kHz.

Note: the tweak shown in that thread, post 14 - where I opened up the cabinet and applied goo to the cabinet walls - is something that might benefit the sub in your current Logitech system, particularly if the box is a bit flimsy. A forum search will show lots of other speaker tweaks. The simplest one is just to stick a slab of beer or similar heavy object on top of the sub :)

As others have suggested old Yamaha, Denon AV amps are a good option - quite a bit of power with lots of I/O's. I have a Yamaha "Natural Sound " amp, it's well built and been running for years with no probs.

This gives you some flexibilty as regards speakers, any half decent floor standing types should do, it depends on your funds.

Andy.

Re nominating specific brands of AVRs - I've owned / set up at least have a dozen makes / models over the past decade or so, and my current Onkyo is not only the most flexible and pretty user friendly -considering the plethora of features that seem to be de rigueur these days - but by a fair margin a better sounding piece than either of the two previous Denons, small Yamaha I set up for my son, and a pair of Marantzs that my sister's and daughter's homes.

What I most appreciate after 50yrs of this addiction is the simplicity of the one box solution this type of product offers - even with only 3 sources and the TV screen, there are more than enough boxes and cables involved in a HT / AV system as is. Neatly dressing that rat's nest inside / behind the entertainment cabinet is an art unto itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.