PD with 511B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am nearly done acquiring all the parts for my high efficiency build. I have purchased the Precision Devices PD.186/2, the PDN.10MH25 and have two Altec 511B horns. I have not decided upon a compression driver yet. I can get a pair of 901 Altecs for $600 CDN used but I think that is too high of a price for a used driver that is "good" but not amazing.

My question is: does anyone know if the bolt layout of the 511B is standard and can I assume this is across the industry as a standard? I am considering the Faital HF10AK or the PD.CD1N

Have a look at the Great Plains Audio 902’s. They are very reasonably priced and sound incredible.

Hello!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your GPA902's ? ( & when ? )

The reason for asking is that GPA ( sometime within the last 3-4 months instituted a massive, > 300% price increase for their alnico series woofers ).

So now I'm wondering how they've priced their ferrite-magnet based products.

:)

Last edited:
If they are that much, I am just going to go with PD comp drivers.

Personally, I prefer the soncs of aluminum diaphragms ( in compression drivers ) to the other typical choices offered ( of diaphragms made of plastic or titanium ).

Aluminum appear to be richer sounding ( especially when compared to Ti ) .
- Plastics come second to my ears.

Shane, in case you are not aware ( here in Canada ) one can buy quite a lot of good product from Q-Components .

The ubiquitous B&C de250 is available from them as well as the Radian 475pb ( which is arguably their version of the Altec 908 ).

My question is: does anyone know if the bolt layout of the 511B is standard and can I assume this is across the industry as a standard? I am considering the Faital HF10AK or the PD.CD1N

Yes, that 2 bolt layout ( diametrically opposed, on a 3" diameter circle ) is an industry standard ( mostly ).

Last edited:
Hi Earl. I bought the ferrite 902’s about a month or so ago. Bill charged me US$220.00 each.

I can’t believe how good they sound in my Valencia’s. The HF now sounds and measures very extended.

And, that annoying 511/811 midrange resonance/ringing/honk is virtually gone. I had always thought it was due to the horn casting, but I’ve been shown otherwise.

Last edited:
Hi Earl. I bought the ferrite 902’s about a month or so ago. Bill charged me US$220.00 each.

I can’t believe how good they sound in my Valencia’s. The HF now sounds and measures very extended.

And, that annoying 511/811 midrange resonance/ringing/honk is virtually gone. I had always thought it was due to the horn casting, but I’ve been shown otherwise.

Ahh, thanks so much for that information.

Good Stuff!

( While I do slightly prefer my 288-8K's to the smaller 802/902 models >specifically in the bottom octave ) so many jst don't realize what they're forgoing by not trying out Altec/GPA stuff.

Which amp are you driving your Valencias with ?

Hi Earl, the system as it stands at the moment is actually JBL 4345’s with SUB1500’s and the HF drivers are TAD TD-2002 Be, all triamped.

But, at the moment, the Altecs are connected as the high pass section at 290 Hz!

The amps driving them are Mark Levinson No. 434. I use Bryston for the rest.

Shane, if you are referring to the Altecs, I’m using the stock crossover that comes with 846B with Solen caps in the low pass and Hovland in the high pass.

If you live in the Toronto area, you could drop in and have a listen before making a decision. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.