Help! Finish gone bad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi,

Earlier today I sprayed a speaker I've been working on for a while now.

Because of the fumes etc. associated with spraying I chose to do it outside. Now after the job was finished I left the speaker outside to dry.

I've now just recently checked it and its gone a misty white in places.

What has caused this and can it be remedied with another coat or does the whole thing have to sanded back to the wood?

I should also add that this particular coat was added over 2 earlier coats and these took fine. Its just that the 3rd and last coat has gone tits up!

It happens even when the weather is just cold. I know of two carpenters that have told me this is the cause. I've experienced it before too, and here in Australia it doesn't get as cold as where you are in the UK.

You should generally be sanding between coats either way, just a light sanding with 220grit sandpaper to make it smooth. Sometimes it isnt needed though, but I've found its a good idea.

I think what I did about the misty stuff was to give it a light sanding all over, then I sprayed another coat of laquer when the weather was warmer and let it dry and the misty white stuff disappeared.

What has happened here is moisture has been trapped in the finish, causing it to 'blush". IF the finish is lacquer.. simply purchase a can of lacquer thinner, if you an get one, and lightly spray on a misting coat.. The thinner is miscible in the lacquer, and will soften the finish enough for the moisture to escape..

If the finish is varnish or similar.. you wil have to abrade the finsih and start over :(

Best of Luck!!

First off you have to tell us what type of finish you applied. I am definately not a fan of any type of finish that you spray on. Profin is just too easy to apply and smooth-wipe to let a finish sit on the surface without dragging it through.

I would wait at least a week before you did anything. Depending on the type of finish you use the moisture will escape over a short time and the white will be gone. This can happen with a Swedish finish used on floors. If you get a large amount of water on it it will get in the finish and white spot it. Giving it time to dry and evaporate out can reverse the whitening completely.

If a week goes by and it doesn't fix itself I would try to sand it down with 220 grit till the white is gone then try another coat.

Good luck.

Profin is a products put out by Daly's - a paint and finish company. It is also commonly carrried by Home Depot and Lowes - at least in the Seattle area. It is an oil based finish that does not yellow and is best applied in thin coats. Three coats gives a great finish, with 4 to 5 coats getting you a deep, revealing finish.

Most high end GC's I know like it for its protective properties and stability. It is also pretty easy to apply. It has worked well for me on trim and furniture in the past and is stable over time. I do not know if it is a local company or if Daly's is national but the is is easy to use and has great results.

I looked up their page - here:

http://www.dalyspaint.com/products.htm[/URL]

Oh yea - I LOVE benite - have trouble with getting stain to look uniform - Benite is the awnser!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vikash said:
I just did the same thing! Argh!!

I washed it down with clean water after sanding some sides and applied another base coat (the last one was applied over a month ago) and I don't think I let it dry long enough (~15 mins) although it appeared completely dry :mad:

Gonna try another coat in a bit and see what happens...

Wow, nice thread ressurection Vikash. Over 2 years old :)

I remember when this happened. This was when I first started spraying.

Its just so maddening because the effort involved with sanding is a bit gauling when you realise you just wasted your time.

Be sure to check out the BBC weather website and enter your postcode to get a pretty specific summary of the weather conditions in your area. My advice from previous experience is not to spray if the humidy level is 70%+ and prefereably less than 60%. Always try to pick a nice days with minimum clouds and good sun, the paint always dries quicker between coats and you get zero moisture trapped in the finish (clouding). Of course if you spray in a warm and well ventilated garage then ignore this.

If you must spray outside on somewhat damp days, do it undercover and I also use two patio heaters spraying heat over the work. I haven't had any problems with this method but I generally leave it until a decent day unless its urgent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.