Essential Driver Arsenal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So with louspeaker design and experimentation, comes lots of trial and error and plenty of questions. In my parts, lots of folks fish... If you wanna have a good time and catch anything, you gotta have the right tackle.

With this in mind, I am curious as to what kind of "tackle box" a speaker designer should build themselves. Over time I have noticed several drivers trend and some have become essentially "must have" drivers to experiment with. One example is the VIFA TC9FD... for the price and sound quality, the driver lends itself well to a variety of designs and implementations. I am curious what other drivers exist as a flexible and useful driver to have around the shop...

If you were to suggest essential speaker drivers, tools, and tricks/information for a person wanting to roll up their sleeves in 2018, what would you recommend?

(not trying to start anything, just curious what those out there cant live without)

Temporary builds and test baffles need quick but sturdy ways of hooking up and securing drivers, so:

A jillion lengths of wire, some with alligator clips.
Duct tape, spring clamps, 'occy' (octopus) straps, cable ties.

Lots of milk crates. e.g. don't have a mic stand? Stack up several crates and throw a towel over them, that's a poor man's mic stand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.