Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is there such a thing as too big?
Is there such a thing as too big?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2018, 01:48 AM   #11
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Going big for the right reasons is very good. It is possible to waste space if not thoughtful.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #12
etalon90 is offline etalon90  Canada
diyAudio Member

what you guy think of this?

8 woofer per side, seem to be bassreflex.
I think they are 15" but have no info

must be over 112db efficient...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:17 AM   #13
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The speakers can be as big as you want so long as you don't want to move them often.
Also you might want to remove them from the room if you move house so the door sizes vs speaker sizes will be important.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:20 AM   #14
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Tell your friends you got the MWM speaker stack when you set up for the Grateful Dead.
===
Sound Quality vs. Sound Quantity

The K402 over Jubilee gets very good reviews for natural sound quality. Invest in a few room improvements, along with measurement+equalize equipment.
======

You could purchase a second set of plastic K402 horns and build/experiment a 200Hz Synergy horn which promises better sound quality, plus a good path to room-equalized deep bass. Plans for a wood K402 are on the net.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:41 AM   #15
Coelacanth is offline Coelacanth  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalon90 View Post
Looks like an Altec / WE hybrid... Beautiful! That has given me an idea... Seriously!
Old 13th June 2018, 04:50 AM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Going big for the right reasons is very good. It is possible to waste space if not thoughtful.
Agreed, my post wasn't about space savings/efficiency, just I found I preferred the more 'open' sound of a large horn size flat baffle loading the drivers in a corner horn configuration over the corner loaded compression horns.

If I could afford to build a whole new system it would have [8] HE 15"/channel to get efficiency up 'close enough' to the HF horns.

GM
Old 13th June 2018, 05:02 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Looks like an Altec / WE hybrid... Beautiful! That has given me an idea... Seriously!
Yep, typical big systems discussed/built on most forums are all about efficiency/SQ in a HIFI app, not how loud they play per se. To go 'live' OTOH takes a bit more: 20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi System

GM
Old 13th June 2018, 05:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalon90 View Post
Don't much like the multicell crammed into the mid horn, though depends on the XO as to whether it messes with the critical mids that these big horns do so life-like, but otherwise like it.

Looks like early 15" Lansing/Altec 515? assuming the mid horns are WE 15, though baffle depth appears to be too shallow for a reflex. Makes me wonder if it's some kind of weird hybrid OB.

My Altec 515Bs have a ~97 dB/m mid band efficiency, so [8] would be ~106 dB/m down low where there's good coupling efficiency.

GM
Old 13th June 2018, 06:35 AM   #19
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

From the shallow depth it looks like OB IMO. The hole that looks like BR might come from some experiments or parts recycling.

Regards

Charles
Old 13th June 2018, 06:59 AM   #20
justinsweber is offline justinsweber  United States
diyAudio Member

Ive had Jub clones... Amazing. Id sugest not doing the MWM, The Jubs are vastly more interesting and an easier package to live with. Ultimately I sold my Jubs as they were too big for me let along my wife. If you go down the Job route, PM me. We developed a 2nd order crossover... All passive crossover... A SET 45 amp will make them sing.

Is there such a thing as too big?Hide this!Advertise here!