Ampex Stephens Help identify

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today while cruising craigslist. I spotted an ad that read "Big ugly speakers $10" My eye immediately caught the EV T35 tweeter in the photo and I knew that even not working they are worth substantially more then $10! and I also caught the gold dome of the 8" mid driver and I wondered, bet, that it was a Stephens Tru-Sonic model. I sent the buyer a message and 20 minutes later we were loading them into my car.
I got them back to the shop and pulled one of the mid drivers out and was shocked to see AMPEX on the back....Looking at the cabinets a bit more I realized that while the chip board outer cab was obviously home made. the board the drivers were mounted too was plywood. I removed a few screws and you could tell the board and components were all part of one system. they look like they were either removed from cabinets or like these were part of a big console. some web research suggests that these might be from the Ampex Signature V console...I think... I can find very little info on them.
The woofers and Mids are Stephens. so I am betting there was a Stephens tweeter also at one point. However. I found a photo on the web showing a T35 also. so either this was a factory mod, or a popular aftermarket mod... Can anyone shed some light on these? I was just going to part them out but I would love to know what the original cabinet dimensions were so I could build new cabs for them.

Attachments

• 20180527_112814.jpg
    20180527_112814.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180527_112851.jpg
    20180527_112851.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 167
  • 20180527_112919.jpg
    20180527_112919.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by a moderator:
While googling. I could not find much. But I did find a picture that at first thought was these same speakers. but the woofers are different. So At least I know that the T35 is either factory or, was a popular modification. I also found a picture of a pair of Stephens speakers with a sort of similar configuration. 15" woofer. 8" mid and aT35

here is a photo I found on the web of the same board layout

Nice score ZC!

These are the speaker panels from an Ampex Signature 8000 series console (1959 to 1961). This was one of the many countless variations of available drivers. My best guess is that these are from a 1959 model.

The drivers and crossover appear to be stock. The port was added later... The Ampex Signature console had sealed enclosures for the drivers. The original enclosures were quite a bit smaller than the current enclosures as the back side of the console was inset on each side for a pair of Ampex 30W EL-34 monoblock amplifiers. A complete package of the drivers, crossover and amplifiers was considered the ($285) Model 303. That would not have included the baffle, so yours appears to have been rescued from a console.

The enclosures were originally packed full of what appears to be shredded glass wool mixed with sand. It's a surprisingly heavy mix. You might find some of the same inside the midrange cardboard tube sub-enclosure.

The Ampex 68-0020 and Ampex (Stephens FR-80) were manufactured by Stephens for Ampex. You might find the Trusonic brand indicated on the aluminum castings.

Only the very earliest Signatures used a dome tweeter. That retrofit for the T-35 tweeter was from the factory. That I have seen, all variations of Signature drivers use that rectangular plywood patch panel. Early units were surface mounted like yours; later units had the plywood sub-panel inset into the baffle.

Hope this helps.

Bob in San Diego

I grew up with the smaller 1958 console with 8" jbl full range and 6V6 monoblocks in back. My dad got a deal on it when its first owner traded for the big one you are describing. I replaced one of the jbl with a FR-80 when the original did not survive a repair. Still have the Stephens and the amps. The reel-to-reel I donated to a local analog guy who needed parts for a project transcribing old tapes to digital files. Thanks Dad.

Wow...just lost a very detailed posting as I hit "submit reply". :( Should know by now to write in an editor and then paste when done.

ZC: I did my good deed for the week by drawing out the original cabinet dimensions for you. I calculate about 3.8 ft.³ so the interior of the cabinet that you are currently using would be in the neighborhood of 12 inches deep to have the original volume. I didn't subtract off the volume of the furring strips or the midrange sub enclosure. As I mentioned in a previous post, that port had been added by whomever built the boxes.

I will have to follow up on the details later as it gradually occurs to me what I had written.

You might not have noticed that the width of the baffles is the same as the interior dimensions of a standard rack mount case. (The height is a little taller than a 15U rack.) Perhaps you could be creative with a pair of 15 unit rack cases...

If you lose interest in this project, I have a cabinet that is missing all of these components. On the other hand, if you get obsessed with the possibilities I have a pair of identical empty baffles that you can put to use. :)

Bob in San Diego

Attachments

• IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Ampex 8102 6.jpg
    Ampex 8102 6.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Ampex 8102 2.jpg
    Ampex 8102 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Ampex Signature Cabinet Volume.jpg
    Ampex Signature Cabinet Volume.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Ampex Stephens 15's.JPG
    Ampex Stephens 15's.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 37
In the picture of the 2 woofers. Mine looks like the right one with the Ampex label. My midrange driver which is clearly a Stephens also, has the Ampex logo as well.

i have a pair of small 6L6 tube amps i want to use with these. So yes I am quite interested in Building a set of cabinets for them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.