Thought I'd just say this sounds wonderful

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sreten said:
Also note that its very easy to add another 6DB octave to
the 12dB/octave filter by setting an input coupling capacitor
somewhere.

I had completely forgotten that yes, now how to sim that in LSPcad. Just a simple 1st order section I assume would do.

Anyway as far as I can tell you cant change the point the dipole EQ works to. At the moment is goes from 55hz to 550hz about.

With the resistor values (pots) I had in the active xover I could do the 550hz bit but not the 55, I could get it to EQ to 100hz. This didnt work, it didnt boost the other frequencies above it enough. Dont ask why I dont know.

However I will try the various options you have suggested.

5th element said:

Anyway as far as I can tell you cant change the point the dipole EQ works to. At the moment is goes from 55hz to 550hz about.

With the resistor values (pots) I had in the active xover I could do the 550hz bit but not the 55, I could get it to EQ to 100hz. This didnt work, it didnt boost the other frequencies above it enough. Dont ask why I dont know.

This has me very confused, and probably a
major cause of your excursion problems.

Though I do understand a simple RCR circuit will never
approach 6dB/octave if set up for 150Hz to 550Hz.

:) sreten.

Ok I think I'll say it once more to kinda clarify. I dont have excursion problems, I do get loud levels, the excursion does limit the max SPL but it is loud, as loud as I would expect a w15cy to go open baffle with dipole EQ the neighbours still complained so it cant be that quiet.

It confused me too, I would have thought I could EQ to 150hz but it didnt work. Linkwitz also Eq'd to 10! 10hz in the pheonix but crossed it over much much higher so maybe you do need to EQ down to the level where the bass rolls off when measured near field to get accurate compensation for the dipole loss.

5th element said:
It confused me too, I would have thought I could EQ to 150hz but it didnt work. Linkwitz also Eq'd to 10! 10hz in the pheonix but crossed it over much much higher so maybe you do need to EQ down to the level where the bass rolls off when measured near field to get accurate compensation for the dipole loss.

You can EQ down to low as you like with 6dB/octave compensation
which will give accurate slopes when combined with a 4th order L/R filter.

With full baffle roll-off compensation excursion is increasing at
6dB per octave compared to the normal case.

With 12dB / octave roll-off actual cone excursion is increasing
at 6dB / octave below the c/o frequency.

With 18dB / octave roll-off excursion is constant as you go down,
same as the 12dB / octave normal driver case.

Only with 24dB / octave will excursion decrease for constant
voltage input below the crossover point as you go down.

This is not just simply to do with excursion limits, distortion
and very specifically Intermodulation Distortion will "cloud"
the midrange if there is unecessary low frequency excursion.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.