Suggestions for good mid cone drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a look at the newer Scanspeak 18M/8631T midrange. Audax also recently released a very sensitive (not sure why you want it so sensitive, it will need padding) midrange which looks nice on paper - Audax 13LB25AL - looks relly interesting, I will definitely give it a go - from pics it appears to feature a curvilinear cone and an underhung motor. Qms is close to 5 and there`s a slight dip at 1.6Khz which may indicate low loss suspension. Inductance is not very low but perfectly acceptable, if its underhung its due to the small coil, so I doubt the presence of copper/aluminum sleeves or rings in the motor. 3.9gr mms for 87sqcm sd - if cone doesn`t flex too much, it has all the right requisites for a top performer.

Last edited:
Dayton RS100/RS100P
SB Acoustics SB15 (any of the cone variants)
Scanspeak 18W/8531G
18 Sound 6ND430

The latter two i'm not sure I'd want use up to 5K due to beaming. Distortion and frequency response on-axis are good though.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
True, I know, but I used 6fe200 many times up to 5k, often without any upper filtration. To me it behaves quite well, handles a lot! (260 watts? I never used 5 watts, its so loud) and its very efficient.
Please see the graph on axis and at 45 degree off axis, there is no serious beaming up to 5k.
What happens between 0 and 45 though? The difference in responses from 2-4K in the 0 and 45 deg makes me suspicious that it behaves perfectly well at say 15 and 30 deg

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What happens between 0 and 45 though? The difference in responses from 2-4K in the 0 and 45 deg makes me suspicious that it behaves perfectly well at say 15 and 30 deg

In room 1ft infront of mid, no crossover, on axis and 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of axis
Sorry for poor pic quality, just a cell

Attachments

• DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 224
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Up to 5000hz? That counts out anything above 4.5" then.
In theory maybe, in reality, no. I've heard the Eminence Beta 8A crossed at 5K and it was one of the most natural midrange I've ever heard. Just a small inductor was used to flatten the top end.

Also heard the Beta 12LTA crossed circa 6K and it sounded almost like an electrostatic. Big, open, clean. Tricky low pass filter, tho.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.