Whoa, cool new tweeter from Peerless!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm. Definitely promising based on the published data. I'd like to see the distortion plots through 95dB though. What gives me slight pause is the 18dB high Q breakup at ~27KHz. If that gets excited you may find distortion products folding down into the audio band. Either way, it does seem a decent unit for the money & worth looking at in more detail. It'll need to go some to be beating SB's 26ADC or the Seas 27TBFC/G though. If it can -we've got a new budget metal-dome champion. Possibly. The (relative) budget units that have my attention at the moment though are SB's upcoming ceramic / aluminium dome version of the 26ADC SB Acoustics :: SB26CDC-C000-4 & a cheaper beryllium dome model SB Acoustics :: SB29BAC-C000-4 -albeit not out yet & no word AFAIK on a date.

Last edited:
True, but that can be damped.

Maybe. But how would you do that? An electrical notch might help, but only up to a point, & physical mods would need to be very precise (far more than the likes of this ham-fisted oaf could achieve).

Also, that heat sink looks really really interesting. I wonder how that affects compression in long term listening?

Depends on what it's being compared to & how it's being used / how hard it's being driven. So the question really is whether this unit is essentially excursion or distortion limited. We'd need more data to make any definitive judgement on that front.

Will we see this chamber design come to other models, like the soft domes or ring radiators? :)

Assuming it does provide an an improvement over xyz direct equivalent (just assuming) then hopefully we'll see them apply it more widely.

Check this thing out! 25mm Corundum dome, copper, underhung, rear chamber, great power response, super flat FR, 1,200hz recommended crossover!

Looks like it'll be a giant killer! I kind of want to spend $100 right now on a pair!

Peerless DA25TX00-08 1" Corundum Dome Tweeter

If a low crossover point is important, the 32 mm version, DA32TX00-08, is even cooler. 4,5 mm gap height yielding an xmax of 1 mm. I suppose that a design goal has been to achieve low HD down to 1 KHz, otherwise this motor design would make little sense. Might be an alternative to Bliesma T-34 if the lower sensitivity is not a problem. Data on the Nedlab and Tymphany websites.

Yea wow. well it seems a bit too good to be tru. Hope someone does some tests here. If its for real why is the price so low?

Nice low Fs but Im a bit doubtful can take it to 1200 hz without some serious issue above about 90db unless the motor/suspension really can make the swings. The lowish 88db sens would indicate that the motor has been configured for long travel. And I hate it when there is no indication of what X max means. Peak or Pk to Pk??

BTW Im looking for some experience in this area of low crossed tweeters. Someone mentioned they would like to see distortion at 95 db. What distortion numbers would you consider acceptable at that volume?? If I understand correctly many believe that at higher volume more distortion is acceptable than at say "normal" listening levels (whatever that is ha)

Last edited:
Yawn.

Another really inefficient dome tweeter with a huge supersonic resonance peak. Why is everyone fawning over it ?

The on axis response in red is showing significant ripples in response on the order of 2-3dB peak/peak somewhere in the 3-4Khz region (hard to tell due to the rubbish graph that has a compressed vertical axis and only has vertical lines every decade!) which are not visible in the 30 degree off axis response so will almost certainly be diffraction problems.

Either the measurement was taken with the driver not flush mounted or there is a problem with the design of the faceplate that is causing significant diffraction at these frequencies. Having big diffraction ripples in the response right in the presence region is a big no-no, that will be audible as harshness and cause imaging to change significantly as you go slightly off axis.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to my 96 dB/W waveguide loaded ribbon tweeters. They wont go as low in frequency but they're far flatter, no supersonic resonance, no diffraction problems in the presence region and have good directivity control right down to 2Khz to minimise baffle edge diffraction.

Even after baffle step correction I still wouldn't be able to use one of these with my current midwoofers as it would be more than 3dB less sensitive than the woofer... :p

And I hate it when there is no indication of what X max means. Peak or Pk to Pk??
Unless otherwise stated Xmax is always quoted as peak, not peak to peak. So 0.7mm peak, 1.4mm peak-peak.

Last edited:
Yawn.

Another really inefficient dome tweeter with a huge supersonic resonance peak. Why is everyone fawning over it ?

Because it's a $55 tweeter with a Corundum (literally 9/10 on the Mohs scale, 10 being Diamond) dome, copper in the motor, and other good design features we haven't seen in a $55 tweeter ever as far as I know!

How is that not exciting?! Cool innovations in the audio world for attainable prices (ESS DACs, Affordable DSP, etc.) should ALWAYS excite those who care about this hobby.

Last edited:
Because it's a $55 tweeter with a Corundum (literally 9/10 on the Mohs scale, 10 being Diamond) dome,

Which is fine & dandy, but its breakup mode is still only ~27KHz according to their own measurements, which is about the same as the Seas 27TBFC/G with an aluminium / magnesium dome, IIRC no better than the old Dayton RS28a-4 with an aluminium dome, & in a similar region to the aluminium dome SB 26ADC give or take once the phase shield / Helmholtz is factored in. So it doesn't appear to be getting a great deal of benefit purely from that POV.

copper in the motor

Which isn't exactly unknown and does not automatically bring benefits. The 27TBFC/G doesn't have a great deal in the way of Faraday shielding IIRC, but is still a very low distortion tweeter. While the RST28A-4 (like its RS28A-4 predecessor) has full symmetric drive, a PE list price of $49.99 & is currently listed by them as of this date at a sale price of $29.90, so it isn't exactly as though Faraday shielding or varitions on symmetric drive are unknown in budget tweeters.

and other good design features we haven't seen in a $55 tweeter ever as far as I know!

Such as? Other than a physically fancy looking finned motor which we do not yet know is bringing any actual benefits? Since it's a ferrite, not a neodymium magnet, I can't help but wonder about how much practical value it confers.

How is that not exciting?! Cool innovations in the audio world for attainable prices (ESS DACs, Affordable DSP, etc.) should ALWAYS excite those who care about this hobby.

Until evidence emerges that the 'cool [arguably non] innovations' actually bring some benefits, speaking for myself I won't get excited & will remain neutral, albeit reasonably well-disposed. If it turns out they do: great.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.