Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Looking for DIY Studio Speaker
Looking for DIY Studio Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2018, 07:23 PM   #11
mixingandproducing is offline mixingandproducing  Germany
diyAudio Member

wow, the evolution looks stunning!!! But 65K is really a lot of money! But a clone could do it, if there is any?

Is the focal clone a exact clone? I never found the exact chassis for them? Or have I to buy the original spare parts?

Thank you very much!
Old 9th May 2018, 07:43 PM   #12
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

I recommend bying the electronics here. thomann. preamp, amps and digital crossover. The side of strassacker audio is good and they also sell high quality speaker units. And the picture of the speaker in post #1 is false. We can help you selecting the speaker units and constructing the cabinet.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Picture of the mm3 speaker

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think my last post is gone? The MM3 looks really great, is there a clone build thread?

@keruskerfuerst: what is false on post #1? Selecting the right speaker units and help on building the cabinets is always appreciated! ;-)
Old 9th May 2018, 08:22 PM   #15
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

Bass at bottom. Mid above that. Tweeter at top.
Old 9th May 2018, 08:31 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Copying the mm3 drivers which are 15” paper subs, 7” ceramic mid and 5” aluminium ribbon tweeter. The following are the closest I can find, no idea how they will sound but someone on here may be able to model.

http://evolutionacoustics.com/evolut...brochure-4.pdf

Tweeter - fountek NeoPro5i http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/datashe...k/neopro5i.pdf
Mid - accuton c173 series ceramic domes 6.5” http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/datashe...173-6-191E.pdf
Subs - possibly the sb acoustics SB42FHCL75 - http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/datashe...42FHCL75-6.pdf

These will set you back 1500+ Euros per speaker before you look at crossovers but a minidsp solution may work.

Last edited by Ugg10; 9th May 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

the price would be more than resonable. May be the cabinet is a little bit diffcult to do? what would be the price for the crossover?

I like the idea to build these speakers a lot!

@Keruskerfuerst : why not mid and sub on top again?
Old 9th May 2018, 09:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you wanted to go active there is two ways that I can think of.

1) use three minidsp 2x4 units, one running the 4 sub units and the other two running l/r mids and tweeter. miniDSP in a BOX : miniDSP 2x4. Thus will need a power amp per speaker driver so 5 stereo amps or ten monoblocks but you can mix and match the power, class or even solid state and tube to get the sound you want.

You could look into linking the sub and mids and turn it into a 3way with two minidsp 2x4 units but you would need to make sure your Amos can drive the two units together.

2) use plate amps in the rear of the speaker, something like the Hypex fusion amps, Hypex Electronics webshop, this will be less customisable than 1) but potentially cheaper

Or there is the traditional passive crossover which could be set up to tri amp (sub, mid, tweeter), but no idea of cost sorry. This would come as part of the overall box/driver/crossover design.

The mm3 could be simplified a bit by using similar volume rectangular boxes but keeping the stepped position and front face similar dimensions to help time align them.

Last edited by Ugg10; 9th May 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

So you think the cabinet could look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

without the rounds
Old 9th May 2018, 10:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ideally you would need to model the front baffle effects, particularly around the tweeter. The mm3 has the mid and tweeter out away from the body of the enclosure, it may not look as good but you could have these enclosures narrower than the sub so from the front it looks like a bow tie (ish), wide at the top, medium for the mid and narrow for the tweeter and so keep the front baffles small.

It is not impossible to make a curved enclosure like the mm3 using eithe MDF or thin plywood bent over formers and layered up (say 6 layers of 4mm plywood to make a 24mm thick enclosure), this is easier if the bend is in one plane obviously. The mm3 mid and tweeter could be simplified to look like the sub without the front protrusion.

With the dsp route or possibly in a passive crossover you can always have a flat front baffle and electrically/ electronically put a delay into the different channels. The Troels design use the stepped front time alignment if you google his designs.

But again, the best way is to choose a general design, the drivers and model the response and optimise the crossover to your taste and once built modify again to suit your room.

Looking for DIY Studio SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!