matching Home theatre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My home theatre is a 2.1 setup right now, using a powered tempest and 2 bookshelf speakers using the peerless CSX 6.5's and the NorthCreek d25 Tweeters, using the Wayne J design Crossover. I was wondering, if i built a center channel, and 2 towers, and moved the 2 bookshelfs to rear channel duties, would i need to use matching drivers? Would i have a weird sound using different drivers?

Slightly longer answer

And in total agreement with Sreten _grin_

is that for movies, there just really isn't that much information that goes through the rear channels.

They are essentially used for effect, and not used quite a bit of the time.

If you listen to some two channel for music - it really doesn't make economic sense to have 5 matched speakers. You're better to put the extra money into your front speakers.

Been there - done that.

Regards

Ken L

I think it may depend on what you're listening to. If you only use multi-channel audio watching movies then it's less critical. You may want the front three to be similar but the surrounds could be almost anything. In the case of multi-channel audio some of the new recordings demand similar speakers all around. An example is the Telarc 1812 Overture DVD-A. A recording was made from the center of a circle of cannons. The cannon fire is heard on playback as if you are in the middle of the circle. With small dissimilar speakers the cannonfire is different from each channel and lessens the impact of the recording considerably.

If you have a pre-pro that has a phantom center setting you may want to consider that. There are some things about center channels that bother me. First is localization. Unless you have a front projector and a perfed screen the voices come from above or below the picture. Second, center channel speakers are usually not the optimum arrangement for a loudspeaker with their horizontal alignments, IMHO of course. But then, movies aren't exactly hi-fi are they?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.