Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thinking about Audio Nirvana Super 10/12 Ferrite in Open Baffle...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2018, 03:17 AM   #1
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Thinking about Audio Nirvana Super 10/12 Ferrite in Open Baffle...

I'm having somewhat of a time trying to decide on which size drivers to get. I want them to be as smooth and natural as possible without being hard or edgy sounding in the midrange and treble, and have a full bodied sound down into the lower mid-bass region without sounding lean or stressed.

I need them to do everything well, everything from orchestral to opera to pipe organ to jazz. Even 70's, 80's and 90's pop and rock. Beatles, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Van Halen, White Snake, Toto, Queen, etc, etc. Like I said, pretty much everything... Except country and rap.

I do have a somewhat limited budget, so Alnico drivers are out of the question.

Okay, so a little bit about the future system plans...

H-Frame OB bass will be handled by a total of EIGHT 12" Eminence Acoustinator N2012 guitar speakers with neodymium magnets. They will be crossed over and EQ'ed by a dbx Driverack Venu 360 and will be powered by a Carver M-500t MkII amplifier (MkII means full upgrades and mods performed). It produces a very solid 390 watts per channel into 8 ohms. More than enough for these drivers. The H-Frames will be cloned to those of Danny Richie's design/size H-Frames.

The Audio Nirvana Super 12 Ferrite fullrange drivers will be on narrow OB panels with maybe one or two asymmetrical "wings". They will sit atop one of the two H-Frames per channel as the H-Frames will be sitting side-by-side. The Audio Nirvana drivers will also be crossed over and EQ'ed by the same dbx Driverack Venu 360 and will be powered by yet another modded and updated Carver M-500t MkII amplifier.

Of course, if I can get by without using any crossover or EQ in the signal chain going to the fullrange drivers, that will be even better. And while being rated at 99 dB efficient, I may even end up going with a totally different amplifier to power them later down the road.

If this project turns out performing really well, they may end up totally replacing my current setup which includes a pair of mint AV123 X-Statik OB hybrid speakers that I bought brand new 10 years ago, with fully upgraded crossovers and a pair of mint, nearly new JL Audio e110 powered subwoofers which are some of the best sounding little subs I have had the pleasure of owning. They're very impressive.

Current setup...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th May 2018, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Don't everybody chime in at the same time now... LOL
Old 8th May 2018, 07:55 PM   #3
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

I have a pair. No bad after a bit of work. TB 1808 sounds better w/o EQ
Old 9th May 2018, 01:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not sure how that helps with the question at hand.

And that question is... Which would sound better overall, the AN 10 or 12? Super vs Classic?
Old 9th May 2018, 01:55 AM   #5
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

DO iT

I'm using 8" classic, i hear it more balance than super, tested it side by side with A/B switcher. oneday you can swap later on 8" size with other brand, while not many FR on 10"/12" size
Old 9th May 2018, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Again... I am asking about the AN 10" and 12" drivers. I don't want other brands, and I don't want to go with an 8" driver, and won't.
Old 9th May 2018, 03:54 PM   #7
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

You don't need wings on the fr drivers and unless your room is big you certainly don't need 12" drivers. Our 10" filled a 17x26 room with plenty.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
You don't need wings on the fr drivers and unless your room is big you certainly don't need 12" drivers. Our 10" filled a 17x26 room with plenty.
Okay, so I won't need wings.

But the size isn't the important part. The important part is which one has a smoother response and will require the least amount of tuning via EQ. But I also want great efficiency.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:31 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

On paper and based on your other 'specs', the 12" is the 'no-brainer' choice, but only you can answer these types of questions since we all hear the same, yet not so much as proven by other's suggestions plus we don't have your listening space.

FWIW, based solely on early reviews the new Fane 15" seems a better overall choice, especially OB loaded since 'BIB' rules when it comes to doing any justice to R&R, organ, big band, etc., prominent/'full' mids, lower HF.

GM
Old 9th May 2018, 04:39 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Okay, so I won't need wings.

But the size isn't the important part.
Well, in most [DIYer's] rooms, directivity control plays a big part in best overall performance, so question whether a single 'FR' driver of any size would be able to meet your needs.

GM

Thinking about Audio Nirvana Super 10/12 Ferrite in Open Baffle...Hide this!Advertise here!