Completed project: "Fenrir"

I just finished this pair of bookshelves a couple weeks ago, using the Rival Acoustics R176-P-08 carbon-paper woofers, and the Wavecor TW022WA06-4 waveguided 22mm tweeters. 18 ltrs tuned to 40Hz for an F3 just below that, and an FR measurement that sits mainly at +/-2dB, while having low HD.

I'll attach all of the documentation in photos. Thanks for looking, and please ask if you have any questions!

Later,
Wolf

PS- more photos in the second post...

Attachments

• Fenrirbox.jpg
    Fenrirbox.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 2,219
  • WavecorTW022WA06-4-1.jpg
    WavecorTW022WA06-4-1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Rival R176P08-1.jpg
    Rival R176P08-1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 277
  • FenrirZ.jpg
    FenrirZ.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 570
  • FenrirXover.png
    FenrirXover.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 566
  • FenrirXmax.jpg
    FenrirXmax.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 443
  • FenrirVoicedHD_-9dB.jpg
    FenrirVoicedHD_-9dB.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,122
  • FenrirVoiced_nosmoothing.jpg
    FenrirVoiced_nosmoothing.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,124
  • FenrirVoiced_1-6thFR.jpg
    FenrirVoiced_1-6thFR.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,145
  • FenrirMach.jpg
    FenrirMach.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,190
And the rest of the information...
Wolf

Attachments

• Small6.jpg
    Small6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 915
  • Small12.jpg
    Small12.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 479
  • Small7.jpg
    Small7.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 500
  • Small8.jpg
    Small8.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 533
  • Small9.jpg
    Small9.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 515
  • Small4.jpg
    Small4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 536
  • WavecorW22-1_HD70uF_TAxis_1m.png
    WavecorW22-1_HD70uF_TAxis_1m.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Wavecor22FR1.jpg
    Wavecor22FR1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 340
  • R176P8-FR.jpg
    R176P8-FR.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 374
I didn't take any further polar responses that I saved, and the horizontal plots I took were of a previous xover iteration. It was enough information to apply, but not valid for the final implementation. Basically, it just tilts downward as it should.

If you mean the small bump at 1.8k, that's only about a dB, and is not forward sounding or anything like that.

Thanks for looking,
Wolf

..looking at the UNaveraged on-axis response, the region between 810 Hz and 2.2 kHz looks like it could stand a reduction of about 1.5 db. The treble on-axis would be a bit "hot" on-axis as a result, but about 30 degrees off-axis (diffraction dependent) - it might be more ideal (particularly if you run the tweeter a bit lower in freq.). Moot point though if you've already got a listening axis you like.

(..yeah, the averaged graphs look exagerated around 1.8 - but I'd chalk that up to aggressive "interpretation" by the measurment system.)

-regardless, a nice project. How is the midbass? Subjectivly similar to the Scanspeak classic or Usher?

This looks like an interesting build. It’s the first time I’ve seen that tweeter used in a project and I’m not familiar with Rival drivers. If you don’t mind I have a few questions.
• What are your impressions of the overall sound quality of the Fenrir?
• Is it worth the money compared to other similar builds?
• Are those woofers worth price? They look great. Your impressions?
• How did you like that Wavecor tweeter?
• Would the Fenrir work in a different box with one port?

My brother-in-law is looking for a project of similar size.

Thanks

• What are your impressions of the overall sound quality of the Fenrir?
• Is it worth the money compared to other similar builds?
• Are those woofers worth price? They look great. Your impressions?
• How did you like that Wavecor tweeter?
• Would the Fenrir work in a different box with one port?

The SQ is really easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. Enough detail to not sound dull, and bass extension and tonal ability is quite exceptional.

If you would like me to compare to other kits, please ask which ones.

The woofers are REALLY worth the price, and likely should cost twice what they do. Basically you get a motor/frame similar to that of Wavecor, and a proprietary cone formula only from Rival.

The Wavecor tweeter goes lower for a 22mm than it has a right to with a low Fs, and a reasonably smooth response. It has low HD as used in this design.

If you made the cabinets no more than 1.5" narrower, this should not affect BSC that much, and the cabinet can be made deeper this way with the same volume specification. If that is your choice, one port can be used as the depth will be more accommodating, BUT- It will need to be of larger diameter than the ports I used. I used 2 due to the angling needed in the shallow cabinet, and the port mach air velocity speed reduction. It would be a minimum of 2" diameter (2.25"+ recommended) to combine the 2 ports into one, and that with an elbow would not fit in my cabinets. Remember that the larger diameter port will also be longer than they are in the box as I designed it.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Wolf

The baffle response will change from my 10.5" x 17.5", and your cabinet volume is too large. It should be 18 ltrs, or about 0.63ft^3. This will further alter the tuning of the port, and the air-spring on the driver.

If you make these kinds of multiple changes applied to this design, I cannot predict how the results will come out, and all bets are off.

Like I said- if you change the baffle more than 1.5", which you didn't, and use a larger singlular vent, your tuning will change and need adjusted in length. I cannot vouch for going larger in volume or also changing the height of the cabs.

You are, however, free to do as you wish. It is on you if you are unhappy with the results. I optimized the design for the cabs I used. The baffles are Parts Express baffles, and I would at least recommend using those.

Later,
Wolf

Thanks for your input. I think he will stay with the original design as not to screw it up.
Do you know anything about the Rival Kevlar drivers that are on sale now? I'm wondering if they the same quality. I may order some before the price goes up. They say on the site that they are new drivers so you may not know anything about them. Just thought I would ask. :)

I like Kevlar woofers and I think their price is very good. Do you think the new Dayton silk tweeter will be a good match? I don't see any reviews of those yet. Do you know anything about those? I'm torn between the Dayton and the new Peerless DX25BG60-04. Am I off base? Should I be thinking about a higher grade tweeter?
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

I like Kevlar woofers and I think their price is very good. Do you think the new Dayton silk tweeter will be a good match? I don't see any reviews of those yet. Do you know anything about those? I'm torn between the Dayton and the new Peerless DX25BG60-04. Am I off base? Should I be thinking about a higher grade tweeter?
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Dude, unless you are an experienced crossover designer, just build Wolf's Fenrir design. Very hard to do better.
If you want to design your own, the PE RST28 should work great, or you could use one of the SB tweeters
Hope this helps