Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Completed project: "Fenrir"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Lishous is offline Lishous  Canada
diyAudio Member

This looks like an interesting build. It’s the first time I’ve seen that tweeter used in a project and I’m not familiar with Rival drivers. If you don’t mind I have a few questions.
• What are your impressions of the overall sound quality of the Fenrir?
• Is it worth the money compared to other similar builds?
• Are those woofers worth price? They look great. Your impressions?
• How did you like that Wavecor tweeter?
• Would the Fenrir work in a different box with one port?

My brother-in-law is looking for a project of similar size.

Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 09:27 PM   #12
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishous View Post
• What are your impressions of the overall sound quality of the Fenrir?
• Is it worth the money compared to other similar builds?
• Are those woofers worth price? They look great. Your impressions?
• How did you like that Wavecor tweeter?
• Would the Fenrir work in a different box with one port?
The SQ is really easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. Enough detail to not sound dull, and bass extension and tonal ability is quite exceptional.

If you would like me to compare to other kits, please ask which ones.

The woofers are REALLY worth the price, and likely should cost twice what they do. Basically you get a motor/frame similar to that of Wavecor, and a proprietary cone formula only from Rival.

The Wavecor tweeter goes lower for a 22mm than it has a right to with a low Fs, and a reasonably smooth response. It has low HD as used in this design.

If you made the cabinets no more than 1.5" narrower, this should not affect BSC that much, and the cabinet can be made deeper this way with the same volume specification. If that is your choice, one port can be used as the depth will be more accommodating, BUT- It will need to be of larger diameter than the ports I used. I used 2 due to the angling needed in the shallow cabinet, and the port mach air velocity speed reduction. It would be a minimum of 2" diameter (2.25"+ recommended) to combine the 2 ports into one, and that with an elbow would not fit in my cabinets. Remember that the larger diameter port will also be longer than they are in the box as I designed it.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Wolf
Old 13th June 2018, 09:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well those seem like stellar drivers for sure.
Here is the box that he has in mind. It's a bit smaller on the front and deeper to the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fenrir-box.jpg (32.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 13th June 2018, 10:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The baffle response will change from my 10.5" x 17.5", and your cabinet volume is too large. It should be 18 ltrs, or about 0.63ft^3. This will further alter the tuning of the port, and the air-spring on the driver.

If you make these kinds of multiple changes applied to this design, I cannot predict how the results will come out, and all bets are off.

Like I said- if you change the baffle more than 1.5", which you didn't, and use a larger singlular vent, your tuning will change and need adjusted in length. I cannot vouch for going larger in volume or also changing the height of the cabs.

You are, however, free to do as you wish. It is on you if you are unhappy with the results. I optimized the design for the cabs I used. The baffles are Parts Express baffles, and I would at least recommend using those.

Later,
Wolf
Old 13th June 2018, 11:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input. I think he will stay with the original design as not to screw it up.
Do you know anything about the Rival Kevlar drivers that are on sale now? I'm wondering if they the same quality. I may order some before the price goes up. They say on the site that they are new drivers so you may not know anything about them. Just thought I would ask.
Old 14th June 2018, 08:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have a set of Kevlars awaiting use, but that model is slightly different than mine. Anything Rival makes is exceptional at the price sold through RAD.

Have fun!
Wolf
Old 14th June 2018, 10:01 AM   #17
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

How do those wavecors measure up against the small format Seas tweets in terms of sound?
Old 14th June 2018, 12:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I like Kevlar woofers and I think their price is very good. Do you think the new Dayton silk tweeter will be a good match? I don't see any reviews of those yet. Do you know anything about those? I'm torn between the Dayton and the new Peerless DX25BG60-04. Am I off base? Should I be thinking about a higher grade tweeter?
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 14th June 2018, 01:06 PM   #19
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Nice. Curious to see the Unibox step repsonse too It models very nicely!

Tony.
Old 14th June 2018, 05:21 PM   #20
joetekubi is offline joetekubi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishous View Post
I like Kevlar woofers and I think their price is very good. Do you think the new Dayton silk tweeter will be a good match? I don't see any reviews of those yet. Do you know anything about those? I'm torn between the Dayton and the new Peerless DX25BG60-04. Am I off base? Should I be thinking about a higher grade tweeter?
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Dude, unless you are an experienced crossover designer, just build Wolf's Fenrir design. Very hard to do better.
If you want to design your own, the PE RST28 should work great, or you could use one of the SB tweeters
Hope this helps

Completed project: "Fenrir"Hide this!Advertise here!