Choosing drivers for LR active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find passive custom crossovers hard to understand. So I want to take the active route. I believe some drivers lend themselves to active crossovers. How do I choose drivers for an LR 12db/octave or LR 24 db/octave. LR is going to be 'in phase' at crossover but the drivers are not. I mean take for example a crossover point of 3k. If you see tweeter and woofer response at 3K they will be at different phases. Why is this phase difference not taken into consideration in LR crossover? So how does this combination give a good sound?

Thanks in advance,
goldy

To put it differently

Hi,
In one of the articles in Elektor Electronics, Mr T Giesbert, the author of the active two way project says that Linkwitz-Riley filter had problems creating soundstage with Visaton drivers. However Buttorworth filter gave better results. I thought LR was better. So I come back to the question, I know I will be playing with either 12db/octave LR Or 24db/Octave LR. But how do I choose drivers. What params say that a particular set of drivers are going to match well if LR is used.
Thanks in advance,
Goldy

It is really almost nonsensical to ask what drivers will sound good with a crossover. You can define some goals, such as about where the xover points should be, and use that to narrow your choice of drivers. But the final crossover should be developed based on the driver choices. You won't know until then the acoustic rolloff, phase issues, etc.

goldyrathore said:
LR is going to be 'in phase' at crossover but the drivers are not. I mean take for example a crossover point of 3k. If you see tweeter and woofer response at 3K they will be at different phases. Why is this phase difference not taken into consideration in LR crossover? So how does this combination give a good sound?

Some people believe that it's silly to make an active cross-over without time alignment so that the drivers are acoustically in-phase at the cross-over point.

SL's All-pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.