Kairos alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most 2-way monitors have efficiency of around 82 - 83db in free space because of bsc. The Satori may have at most 85db in free space but that is a bit optimistic - probably most likely 84db. If you're willing to place your monitor right up against the wall then you may get and extra 3db due to room gain but that is probably not an ideal listening position.

Where are you getting these figures? The MW16P-8 is ~88 dB, and the Kairos is ~85 dB.

Last edited:
You can also look at Nymeria or troels gravesen's site. Many good two-ways are on both sites. Also look on the SEAS website at their kits. Kairos is not old or outdated. The creator of Audio Physic speakers also designed a two-way similar to the Kairos, which is posted on this site under the Vendor's Bazaar forum. Madisound also sells the new SB Acoustics kits, including yet another two-way variant of the drivers used in the Kairos.

I looked at the published frequency response which I posted below and I think I heard a little bit of ringing in my ears. But joking aside, I can't help but thinking these will be forward with emphasis in sibilance. Maybe they will sound nice on perfect recordings, but on less than perfect recordings I just have a feeling the sound could be fatigue.

Hmm I haven't had anyone complain about the balance of the Anniversario. I just received the latest version of the tweeter and will design a new crossover just for you.

I've owned Kairos for 5 years. It has symmetric LR12 crossover. The slanted baffle aligns the acoustic centers allowing flattish phase response which really makes it sound natural and open. The Satori silk dimple tweeter has a slightly warm but very satisfying and detailed sound. It does not sound like traditional silk dome nor a rigid dome. I love it, even compared to my AMTs and RAALs I have heard. The woofer was SB's 1st satori, 88db nominal. But Kairos has full 6dB bsc, so there is significant attenuation of the tweeter. I didn't like that much bass boost so Jeff kindly and quickly designed a 3dB bsc version which I use now. It's not as perfect sounding as the original xo, because he didn't listen to it or fine tune, but I don't like deep bass from small woofer so it's better for me. A friend said my Kairos sounds much better than his Joseph Audio Pulsar ($8k,) which I thought sounded excellent when I heard it at a show. Kairos min impedance is 7 ohms, so I have powered the Kairos successfully with Mod86 50W. and 100W tube amp. But it is even better with big power like Mac MC402, ICE 1200AS, Hypex NC500. It does not sound muffled and emotionally disconnected like most hifi speakers with low sensitivity and/or steep crossovers. It sounds alive and nimble and airy with fast amplifiers. I also have 93dB 4way full range speakers with 4th order filters and phase like a merry go round that sound much more closed in and missing subtle harmonic detail that Kairos shows easily. I first built it sealed, but later put the port in it, which I like better, at least with the 3dB bcs. The cheap stock parts of the basic version are what Jeff used on his own prototype with Solen caps and iron coils, metal oxide. That sounds pretty good, but I upgraded those to Jantzen superior Z and air core coils and Mills resistors and that made a big improvement to my ears. Jeff told me that the iron core coil on the woofer provided for good electrical damping, so make sure to minimize DCR if you upgrade to air core coil on the woofer. It's a great speaker, especially for a medium or small sized room where it makes adequate bass. In a large room like mine you eventually crave more/better bass.

I live near Selah Audio and heard many models over the years, from small 2ways to straight and CBT line arrays and 4way actives. They always sounded neutral and composed, never too forward or over detailed. Rick knows his stuff and offers a good value, imo.

I have built the Kairos too.
It is a very well executed design and does sound very "right" and musically engaging and expressive.Most importantly it has no annoying qualities and most two ways sound a bit strained or fake by comparison.So they do sound natural and unforced which allows you to just enjoy the music.
Unfortunately the three way conversion is not very well resolved and detracts from the good qualities of the two way.So if you buy it with an expectation of upgrading it to a three way later I suggest you look at alternatives because it is more of a downgrade.I am working on a three way conversion that does build on the strengths of the two way which at this stage is pointing towards an isobaric loaded bass section .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I have built a pair of Pete Schumacher's Apollos to hold me over. They are a fun speaker and gave me some practice with enclosure construction and finishing. I hand them over to a Stereo Integrity HST18mkii for movies and when I want to experience concert level type sound and they get scary loud without strain. They will hold me over until the Spring at which point I will rethink the whole thing. I may still build the Kairos or look at an end game 3-way or both.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.