Speaker driver measurements: 2-4" midrange, full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Driver measurements added:
-Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 2" dome midrange
-Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 2" dome midrange
-Aura NS3-193-8A1 3" full range
-Peerless TC5FB00-04 1.5" full range
-Peerless TC5FB00-08 1.5" full range
-Peerless TC5FC00-04 1.5" full range
-Peerless TA6FD00-04 2" full range
-Peerless TC7FD04-04 2.5" full range
-Peerless 830970 2" full range
-Tang Band W3-2141 3" full range

Link to results

All the peerless measured as expected. The TC5 are kind of interesting; Tweeter-like response at the top end but much different distortion characteristic at the bottom end since they are an overhung motor with much higher xmax and lower fs than the average tweeter. They overload more gradually than the average tweeter. Would work great in an array - I'm thinking of how I can use a pair of them with a 7" woofer.

Peerless 830970 and Aura NS3 are close to unlistenable imo.

The Tang band has an excellent motor, I just wish they found a better cone for it. I've always said that TB need to put a metal cone on one of their better motor designs. This motor with a metal cone would be killer.

The RS52F is a bit of an upset. The RS52A I purchased years ago performs much better.

Great resource of results!

Regarding the Tang Band drivers and metal cones...

Have you considered listening or testing W2 800SL or W3 1285SG?

In my humble opinion these are two great motors and cones!

Both of those drivers are no longer available aren't they? The W3-1285SG looks similar to the W3-1335SB except with a phase plug. It would be good to see a metal cone on a motor with more xmax like the motor from the W3-2141 or W3-1878.

The replacement for the W2-800SL, the W2-2243S looks worth a shot. The only 2" TB driver i've tested so far, the W2-748SG, I would have liked to see a little lower distortion from 700Hz-1kHz so I'd be hoping to find a driver which can improve on that.

Driver measurements added:
-DLS Ultimate U2.5 (Morel CDM54) 2" Dome
-SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5"
-Dynavox LY302F 3.5"
-MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5"
-Peerless TA6FC00-04 2"

Link to results

Really impressed with the Dynavox LY302F - probably the best 'full range' driver I've tested to date. The MCM 55-5650 would also make a fine midrange - and I suspect it is a close relative of the Dayton RS100 ;)

Amazing work! May I ask couple of questions?
-Dynavox LY302F - does this speaker look like can survive real full-range work? You mentioned that construction decisions are questionable.

-Dayton RS75 - is this driver suitable for real full range duty including 10+ kHz? Sound is just a bit metallic or the signature is too much expressed? How it is in comparison to RS100?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.