Wall mount cabinets for existing speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a rather Stupid noobs question concerning my Speakers.
I have a set Mordaunt-Short Avant 901i, which are perfectly fine but which I can't seem to fit properly into my living room.
I need wall mounted flat cabinets and was wondering if I could re-use my existing speakers? They are 130mm woofers and 25 mm tweeters and are fitted into 12 liter cabinets with reflex tubes at the back. So I can't place them too close to a wall. I would be thankful if anyone could point me into the right direction on how to go about calculating new cabinets with less depth, larger surface and the tubes coming out at one of the sides (or top or bottom). Obviously I don't have the exact specs of the drivers them self's. The speakers are 4-8 Ohms, max 70 watts.
Thanks in advance

Joined 2014
Paid Member
New cabinets are the easy part.
You will need a new crossover with no baffle step correction.
Judging from the M-S speakers I have heard, you will gain 3-4 db in efficiency. You will have to identify the drivers if they were not made in-house by M-S, or measure them if they were.
Manufacturers typically test drivers in the equivalent of a wall, so their graphs are very useful in your situation.

The main problem is that both drivers have had their output reduced for in room balance on stands, out in the room; the tweeter's entire range lowered, and the top of the woofer's.

Perhaps we should start with what your room is like, and you can search for crossover schematics, and get back to us.

It will be easier if we know what you really have in there, you might have to open them and get pictures of the crossover and the drivers' markings, but a good search can do wonders.

p.s.where are you? this will also help us help you.

Last edited:
New cabinets are the easy part.
You will need a new crossover with no baffle step correction.
Judging from the M-S speakers I have heard, you will gain 3-4 db in efficiency. You will have to identify the drivers if they were not made in-house by M-S, or measure them if they were.
Manufacturers typically test drivers in the equivalent of a wall, so their graphs are very useful in your situation.

The main problem is that both drivers have had their output reduced for in room balance on stands, out in the room; the tweeter's entire range lowered, and the top of the woofer's.

Perhaps we should start with what your room is like, and you can search for crossover schematics, and get back to us.

It will be easier if we know what you really have in there, you might have to open them and get pictures of the crossover and the drivers' markings, but a good search can do wonders.

p.s.where are you? this will also help us help you.

Thank you for your reply.
I thought that it would not be so straight forward as I had hoped. In the meantime I have come across a German diy Project, which reads quite promising and which I'll try first before "killing" my perfectly fine (and to my taste rather beautiful M-S speakers. They use a rather small full range driver i a large but very flat (2" deep) cabinet. That's much flatter than I could achieve with the M-S drivers and the comments of all The people who have build them over the years (it's a 50 page forum thread) are very good.
Thanks' again for your reply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.