'Jota' 3-way build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Named after one of my favorite sports cars.. now have all the drivers for this project, aiming to complete by end of July.
Drive units are Viawave GRT145 ribbon/Accuton Cell C90, Dayton ES180Ti.
Crossover points roughly 2750hz and 330hz altho nothing modelled yet.
Wd like to try 3 bass drivers, but may revert to 2 if response doesnt add up. Also thinking to use the Accuton in a semi open baffle set up, with some sound deadening behind driver.
Cabinets may raise a few eyebrows, in looks and material choice.
Sketches of cabs to follow, will start project May 10th. 20180420_182309.jpg

The large radius edge rounds on the Magico S5 cabinet model well for low diffraction, which both simplifies the crossover and reduces distortion.

The 7" Satori MW19P-8 with Fs = 32.2Hz would be another midbass option... same limited bass. Sonic alternative to Dayton rigid woven glass fiber cone.

The 8" SB_Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 produces -F3=28Hz in 2.3cuft ported volume.
--IDEAL CHOICE for very popular TM-WW cabinets like: Avalon, Sony SS-AR1, Wilson, Jensen, and shorter Magico.
--A 3-stack in 6cuft ported would ROCK.
--Top rated small woofer.

Attachments

• Magico.jpg
    Magico.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 512
  • Magico TMWWW Rounds.jpg
    Magico TMWWW Rounds.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 510
  • mAgico5.jpg
    mAgico5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
LineSource; The 8" SB_Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 produces -F3=28Hz in 2.3cuft ported volume. --IDEAL CHOICE for very popular TM-WW cabinets like: Avalon said:
I've been thinking about bass options to go below my horns ~500hz and have looked at the SB Satari as a possible, they should be nice and fast to match the horns. Your 3 stack got me interested..... has anyone done a design for these drivers in this configuration?

Thanks

Alot of people have recently asked questions on how to implement a 3 bass driver design.TMM was v helpful in explaining the issues re my driver choice in a '3 stack'. Peter Schumacher on PETT also explained how it can be made to work. Either way, let's try it and see. The bass section wd need to be at least 65litre, so it will need to be a large cab
Also v interesting post about magico cabs. I have a small 3D printer at work so thought to print a 'semi' grill for the Dayton woofers. It would just act as a part guard and ring cover

Last edited:
The 7" Satori MW19P-8 with Fs = 32.2Hz would be another midbass option... same limited bass. Sonic alternative to Dayton rigid woven glass fiber cone.

With the inductor altering qts slightly, I reckon the Dayton's will hit 30hz f3 ported. I did a quick sim - a slightly smaller than optimum volume will produce a gentle slope below 50hz. That's one option anyway

In a 3 way, how low wd I be able to cross a C90-6-724, if open baffle, let's say 2nd order electrical? I was thinking around 350hz or so.

The idea I had was to leave the back of box open but have some stuffing behind driver to absorb some of the backwave. Failing that, an aperiodic vent.

C90 with open and narrow baffle will get stressed below 500Hz. It will have 6dB/oct slope naturally, so just 6dB/oct electric to accompany will result in LR2 acoustic.

You must measure all drivers in the final baffle and "box" to be sure, also off-axis and distortion! Then you will have more solid basis to start thinking about crossovers. I recmmend to simply just make a closed box for it!

C90 distortion from hificompass, H2 rising below 300Hz
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is Edge simulation of a C90 size driver in narrow baffle, dipole (almost equal to open back with light stuffing)

Attachments

• 90mm driver open baffle edge.jpg
    90mm driver open baffle edge.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 236
I recmmend to simply just make a closed box for it!

Ok will take this advice.. thank you.
Jonasz thank you too for your input

There are a couple of sites showing tweaks to help alleviate or tame the rear wave issue with this driver. Tidal do something quite radical with their 'diamond' coned version. Not sure what the best solution is but I'll line the inside edge and possibly some v light stuffing in the middle.

Last edited:
WinISD
Putting three Dayton ES180Ti woofers in one shared 2.5cuft ported volume creates QTc ~0.7 tuning with -F3 ~35Hz (Port Tuned to 35Hz == 4" diameter port, 8.1" long, flared at both ends) green

Putting three Dayton ES180Ti woofers in one shared 4cuft ported volume creates a modest -2db bass shelf with -F3 ~28Hz (Port Tuned to 28Hz == 4" diameter port, 7.8" long, flared at both ends) brown

single ported orange 0.78cuft -F3~35Hz port 2" diameter ~7.4" long

single sealed pink 0.36cuft Qt=0.7 -F3=67Hz

Attachments

• ES180Ti Datasheet.JPG
    ES180Ti Datasheet.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 163
Almost finished my work assignment and will start this project next week.
Was giving some thought about sensitivity matching between woofers and accuton. Worried that 3 in parallel wd be too sensitive for the mid. I had an idea, a 'kind of 3.5 way', if it's possible to work.

Keeping the open baffle idea for Accuton and crossing higher as suggested, say 450-500hz. Sticking w/ 3 woofers in parallel altho adding a small inductor in front of lower woofer to roll off highs/add some bsc

More complicated but wd it (potentially)work ok?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.