So what's your current (or upcoming project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I doing something thats a mix of The WATT/Puppy, the Geers eVe II, and the Andromeda. They are in the build process right now, I hope to finish the Tweet/Mid section in the next two weeks. They I will have something to listen to other than crappy technics speakers till I finish the lower cabinets. All the drivers are Seas, using pretty much the same look as the Geers with some styling of the WATT. I will definitely post pics when I'm done!

huey

Helix, could you comment on those New Class-B amps? Did you like the sound? And what exactly makes it "New" to class-B?. I ordered the EW archive on CD, came today but I wasn't home. I'll give the article a read when I pick it up tomorrow, it sounds interesting for you've mentioned it before on this forum I do believe...

projects

A bandpass under-the-desk sub for my nxt computer speakers made from 24" long x 6" dia pvc using UniBox300 & a 4" Jaycar screened mid/woofer. The sub is in use and it is good down to 45- odd hz + room gain.

A pair of vented 48ltr mtm using vifa p17wj-00 & vifa xt25tg-30 (that I could really use some help with the crossovers).

A vented spherical sub (baseball?) made from a total of 60 triangular veneered mdf pieces 28"dia with two 12" isobaric drivers for the ht

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: So many projects, so little time

I am actually working on a pr of aperiodic boxes for the Pioneer 8' FR. I will be adding a "nose-cone" piezo to fill in on the top ala the PHY-HP 12". I am at the finishing the cabinet stage but have been held back by unseasonably cold weather (gotta do it outside).

Next up will probably be a bipolar line for some of the FE103As i have, to slide in where my RS 40-1197 (aka FE103) BD-Pipes are now. And then TL cabinets to replace the aperiodic ones i have my dual-8s in now. And a proper amp for the pipes (either another SE EL84 or a Forced-symetry EL 84 PP). And the AKSAs for my woofers. And, and, and ...

dave

2 projects...

A) A 3-way Vifa pyramid, using P21wo, P13wh, D25ag. series x-o. front will be gloss black, sides jarrah stained Tassie oak, back matt black.
P21 is an ebs compartment tuned to 35Hz (if i remember rightly) P13 is in an open backed stuffed tube.

B) "Conehead" a 6ft tal tapered quarterwave pipe using a Peerless 850122 6.5" + Tangband "eyeball" tweeter.

Now Playing: Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skittle Lickers

Bass reflex enclosure made out of epoxy, Raven 2 tweeter and 2 different sizes Foacal mids. Separate crossover or maybe bi-amped.

Attachments

• fo.jpg
    fo.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 725
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Bill F. :eek:
Have you heard the Selenium coaxials?
I bought some WPU 1505s for my Basszilla project-actually that's my upcoming project!

The coax's are based on a cheaper woofer-the 12pw3 or 15 pw3.
These woofers actually have a smoother response curve than the 1505's. I probably should have gotten these instead but my ego demanded the 1505 and their huge magnet. I suspect that the 12pw3s and 15pw3s may sound better in the same way that the Beta Eminances seem to be preferred for low power projects such as the Hammer.

Anyway I thought that the Coax's might be great for my son's jazz band. Please keep us informed on how they sound if you get them.

The seleniums go on sale a lot. In fact the cheaper woofers I mentioned above have temporarily dropped to about $40 from $70 at Parts Express. No doubt a killer deal. I got my 1505's for $100 ea. instead of $160. We should post if we discover that the coax's go on sale.

TQWT FX200

Hello,

I'm currently working on a TQWT with the Fostex FX200.
As you can see, I'm still in the experimental stage; that's why the driver in the test case is adjustable.
With this test case, I have the ability to move the speaker +/- 10 cm from the calculated position in order to find the best position.

Regards, Sascha

FX 200 TQWT

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I've been strongly tempted more than once to snap up a couple of 12CO1Ps--currently $155 at parts express--not bad for two drivers and a dedicated crossover. For me, it's a toss-up between them and the Eminence beta coaxes. I'd really love to hear an A/B comparo.

If you or anyone else has some first or secondhand light to shed on either of these, please post.

Bill

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: TQWT FX200

SZ said:
a TQWT with the Fostex FX200...With this test case, I have the ability to move the speaker +/- 10 cm from the calculated position in order to find the best position.

FX 200 TQWT

Sascha,

The FX200 is a driver i'd like to hear more about. Your TQWT looks to be of classic design. Getting these to work properly is pretty hit or miss. Recent real & virtual development on TQWTs points to an optimum driver position of 1/2 way down the line (in your case you'd have to move the driver to the side of the box). Also, the big end of the pipe should be 4-6 x Sd and the terminus should be restricted (maybe even a bit more than you already have).

To get the optimal box, you really should download Martin King's ML-TQWT model and play. Your driver is not inexpensive and getting the best box will help you get the most out of your investment.

dave

Hello Dave,
First impressions with the FX200 are very good. According to first
measurements, the FX200 has a slight increase towards higher frequencies which make a highrange-speaker completely unnecessary. I did try to couple a highrange-speaker (Technics TH1000) with a little condensator very late, but as I said, you don't have to.

Yes, the TQWT is built classicaly; we wrote an Excel sheet which makes the calculations according to the standard formulas. If the TQWT turned out narrower, it would be right that the driver would have to go further back. Although I'm not 100% sure, of course. I still have to fiddle around with the port to test the tunings. As I said, measurements and further reports will follow.

I've installed Matecad yesterday and downloaded and tried out Martin King's calculations. I'm going to play around with them a little before I say anything about them.

Do you want to take a look at the Excel sheet? If you're interested, I'd send it to you. Not publically though, since I'm not sure yet whether it works right. :rolleyes:

Regards, Sascha :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.