So what's your current (or upcoming project) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2002, 09:17 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Of course those are not Focal but Triangle drivers.
Old 14th September 2002, 12:01 AM   #32
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default here's a project I'm working on......

Now, if I can only find a 2" bass compression driver!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basshorn.jpg (19.4 KB, 635 views)
Old 14th September 2002, 06:21 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

What 2" CD are you planning to use with this horn, and what type of flare have you calculated for it?

I calculate a mouth large enough for 135Hz and a length of 53Hz.

Cheers
Brett
Old 14th September 2002, 04:20 PM   #34
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default parameters

Hi,

This circular horn's cross section doubles every 25 inches (63.5cm). This creates a 30hz horn. The mouth will be located in the corner of my listening room. I can cut the throat at any point to accept whatever driver I choose.

John Inlow
Old 15th September 2002, 01:10 AM   #35
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Hey Bill F.
Have you heard the Selenium coaxials?
I bought some WPU 1505s for my Basszilla project-actually that's my upcoming project!

The coax's are based on a cheaper woofer-the 12pw3 or 15 pw3.
These woofers actually have a smoother response curve than the 1505's. I probably should have gotten these instead but my ego demanded the 1505 and their huge magnet. I suspect that the 12pw3s and 15pw3s may sound better in the same way that the Beta Eminances seem to be preferred for low power projects such as the Hammer.

Anyway I thought that the Coax's might be great for my son's jazz band. Please keep us informed on how they sound if you get them.

The seleniums go on sale a lot. In fact the cheaper woofers I mentioned above have temporarily dropped to about $40 from $70 at Parts Express. No doubt a killer deal. I got my 1505's for $100 ea. instead of $160. We should post if we discover that the coax's go on sale.
Old 15th September 2002, 05:36 AM   #36
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Biamp Proac 2.5 clone
?? electronic xover
8W 5687 PP tube amp for tweeters

Going to be a couple months on this project--having a carpenter do the cabinet work for improved SAF.
Old 15th September 2002, 02:32 PM   #37
SZ is offline SZ
diyAudio Member

Cool TQWT FX200

Hello,

I'm currently working on a TQWT with the Fostex FX200.
As you can see, I'm still in the experimental stage; that's why the driver in the test case is adjustable.
With this test case, I have the ability to move the speaker +/- 10 cm from the calculated position in order to find the best position.

Regards, Sascha

FX 200 TQWT
Old 15th September 2002, 03:33 PM   #38
Bill F. is offline Bill F.  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I've been strongly tempted more than once to snap up a couple of 12CO1Ps--currently $155 at parts express--not bad for two drivers and a dedicated crossover. For me, it's a toss-up between them and the Eminence beta coaxes. I'd really love to hear an A/B comparo.

If you or anyone else has some first or secondhand light to shed on either of these, please post.

Bill
Old 15th September 2002, 05:34 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: TQWT FX200

Quote:
Originally posted by SZ
a TQWT with the Fostex FX200...With this test case, I have the ability to move the speaker +/- 10 cm from the calculated position in order to find the best position.

FX 200 TQWT
Sascha,

The FX200 is a driver i'd like to hear more about. Your TQWT looks to be of classic design. Getting these to work properly is pretty hit or miss. Recent real & virtual development on TQWTs points to an optimum driver position of 1/2 way down the line (in your case you'd have to move the driver to the side of the box). Also, the big end of the pipe should be 4-6 x Sd and the terminus should be restricted (maybe even a bit more than you already have).

To get the optimal box, you really should download Martin King's ML-TQWT model and play. Your driver is not inexpensive and getting the best box will help you get the most out of your investment.

dave
Old 16th September 2002, 02:37 PM   #40
SZ is offline SZ
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave,
First impressions with the FX200 are very good. According to first
measurements, the FX200 has a slight increase towards higher frequencies which make a highrange-speaker completely unnecessary. I did try to couple a highrange-speaker (Technics TH1000) with a little condensator very late, but as I said, you don't have to.

Yes, the TQWT is built classicaly; we wrote an Excel sheet which makes the calculations according to the standard formulas. If the TQWT turned out narrower, it would be right that the driver would have to go further back. Although I'm not 100% sure, of course. I still have to fiddle around with the port to test the tunings. As I said, measurements and further reports will follow.

I've installed Matecad yesterday and downloaded and tried out Martin King's calculations. I'm going to play around with them a little before I say anything about them.

Do you want to take a look at the Excel sheet? If you're interested, I'd send it to you. Not publically though, since I'm not sure yet whether it works right.

Regards, Sascha

Hide this!Advertise here!