Off topic: SAF........ fact or myth???? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2004, 04:27 PM   #1
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Off topic: SAF........ fact or myth????

I put this in the loudspeaker forum as there seems to be the most problems with the "one that must be obeyed" with loudspeakers.

I've heard some stories about designs having to be scrapped and changed, people tip toeing into the house with a new amp hidden behind their back, domestic bliss being turned into turmoil.

How real is this? Should a spouse get involved with men's (or women's) secret business?

BTW, I haven't had a problem with this even after 30+ years, I do get the occasional "Well, that's nice dear"..... just to be polite and pretend she's showing some interest.
Old 13th April 2004, 04:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I found a woman with a interest in science and technology. At first I got the "that's nice dear" type of response but after producing some builds and sharing what I was doing she became interested in the science behind it. I think the trip to Las Vegas for CES and T.H.E. Show really clinched it because she was exposed to some of the best the industry has to offer. She has a much more critical ear now which helps a great deal. I'm still not allowed to build ugly stuff but I'd rather not anyway. She's also been involved in the prep for our meet this week. I think both partners should be involved and supportive of each others hobbies. She has developed an interest in plants and has been doing considerable research. She's killed a few and chose the wrong plant for a purpose in the same way I've come up with some bad speaker designs and burned up amp chips but I support her as best I can.
Old 13th April 2004, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
She has developed an interest in plants and has been doing considerable research.
I have found that a shared interest in selected plants can be beneficial to a relationship.
Old 13th April 2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Banned

i never experienced this kind of problem. Much more of a problem is to keep the interest of children on my audio stuff / speakers as low as possible, else i fear what they may do with (or to) it.
Old 13th April 2004, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I'm fortunate in that my girlfriend enjoys our trips to various stereo stores whenever we travel somewhere. She listens to speakers with me and provides very valuable input. She doesn't know the terminology assocated with what she hears, but she can easily hear the difference between very good speakers, and hears these differences the same way I do. We enjoy doing it together, and I find her input very useful.
Old 13th April 2004, 07:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick

I have found that a shared interest in selected plants can be beneficial to a relationship.

Old 13th April 2004, 07:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Im very happily maried since 20 years with a woman who accepted 2 small houses (Schmacks horns) in the living room for several Years. Our son and his friends also liked them when playing hide and seek, the cat thou, liked them but hid all kinds of strange stuff in them ( used socks and such).
Quote:
Also bringing ordinary flowers a coupple of times a week is nourishment for the relationship.
A few Years ago my Wife started linedancing which has made her much more discerning and aware of sound. Listening to music intensely to follow a beat and and advanced dance schematic she realized it sounded a lot better rehearsing at home and easier to follow so Her audio interest has grown a lot. No i dont linedance, im the graybearded bloke in the bar.
Old 14th April 2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
Well said Bill from Oregon

Cal from BC agrees

Flowers work too I found out.

You love meister you.
Old 14th April 2004, 05:57 AM   #9
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

I think if you have a partner who has an appreciation of music he/she will understand the hifi and diy fanaticism.

i have male friends who shrug "yeah that's good" when they hear my gear or me yapping about it.

but my partner wants me to build her some speakers, she even told her sister about them, now SHE wants a pair too. they're both classical pianists and love going to live music events, whether it be concerts, live jazz down at the local cafe or buskers on the street.

one day whilst i was driving she said "when we get married i'll have really good music system!"

that really burst my bubble- i thought i was just "toy boy"

LOL.
Old 14th April 2004, 08:08 AM   #10
angel is offline angel  Norway
diyAudio Member

I, for one, am not allowed to bring home (or build) a speaker that is disporportionately large (compared to the size of the living room).

And I need to keep the foam on when I'm not actively listening, since the cat occasionally gets it into its head to try to climb up the front of the speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!