Good 15-18" midbass drivers for Open Baffle system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I want to build 3-way open baffle speakers and I'm looking to purchase midbass drivers.
Looking for maximum speed, tight attack, detail, low distortion, and a nice frequency response at least in its working range.
The CSD should be clean and the impulse response must have no anomalies.
I'm aiming at these final values: -3db @ ~ 50Hz (acceptable result); -3db @ ~ 42-45Hz (even better result).

1. Will be crossed with the mid-range somewhere around 250-350Hz, depending on the driver's qualities.
2. There will be 2 pieces of the chosen driver in Push-Pull mode (top facing me, the bottom one facing me with its magnet)

Requirements:

1. Fs - as low as possible
2. Mms - as low as possible, I prefer less than 80 grams
3. Qts - Let's keep it outside extremes, but let it be low, maybe somewhere between ~ 0.3-0.5 - contrary to the mass preference for high Q. I prefer quality instead of quantity, so I don't want a resonant system.
4. Xmax - the more, the better, but it's not a priority, it's important to survive hard listening.

In the lower price range, there are a lot of good offers like Eminence BETA-15A / DELTA-15LFA / DELTALITE II 2515 and other similar, but still, I want something of a higher quality.
In the average price range, I like the Acoustic Elegance TD15M with the Lambda upgrade they offer probably.
In the high price range, I liked Supravox 400 GMF. However, It is an example of a price I do not want to reach, but if the money is justified I will save from snacks. :D

The original Realistic Mach 1 woofers work very well on an open baffle.You can now buy modern reproductions-https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjm-rGTtsfaAhUGJJQKHUOEAvkQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parts-express.com%2Frealistic-mach-one-replacement-woofer-speaker-8-ohm-by-grs--290-184&usg=AOvVaw1wAsluB3SpYCvDBJ9IvZCX

I would try to mount them in a ppsl arrangement. If not, be prepared to make the baffle quite substantial.

I've tried Kappalite 15's before. They sound great but the motor venting does make a bit of sound at higher excursions. Also tried the B&C 18PS76. Nice quiet motor venting.

The TD15M suspension is limited on stroke. I would look at one of their other models. Xmax should be higher in your priority than mms. The motor will be powerful enough if you go for a quality unit with honest specs.

How much power will you have available?

Last edited:
I use a pair of these LOW & MID FREQUENCY SM-115N | Beyma
under one of these LOW & MID FREQUENCY 12MI100 | Beyma
per channel. With some DSP and a lot of wattage I like this set up better then any of the other woofer midbass combinations I have tried including eminence alpha and beta 15, beta 12lta and AE dipole 15s

I was running a similar driver arrangement. Fantastic sound.

Couple of drivers I found for best value for quality.
B&C 18RBX100 with 13mm xvar rating.
B&C 18RBX100 is a high power 18" subwoofer for speaker subwoofer systems- B&C 18RBX100 Speakers - B&C 18RBX100 18" high power speaker for speaker subwoofer systems has an xmax of 10.0mm. B&C 18RBX100 high power speakers available now.

New Dayton 18" with copper in the motor and nice specs.
Dayton Audio PN470-8 18" NEO Series Pro Woofer with 4" Voice Coil 8 Ohm

Last edited:
Im fan of ob and my first hardcore speaker project was ob.

What i learned that its good sounding but did not like power compression.
These are in order.
1. Silent motor, vent noises killes musical impression.
2. Sd, sd is better than xmax. High xmax is good but comes with vibration. for 2x15" 50kg baffle aint too much if you take all output they have on low end 40-350hz. High xmax gives you more output, more vibration and round sound quality cause cone moves a lot messing upper frequencys. Low xmax, less output, less vibration and hard limit to power compression, so if had to choose i would take 3x15" lower xmax than 1x15" high xmax.

..The CSD should be clean and the impulse response must have no anomalies.

I'm aiming at these final values: -3db @ ~ 50Hz (acceptable result); -3db @ ~ 42-45Hz (even better result)..

CSD "clean" below about 300 Hz, not going to happen.

Impulse response with no anomlies, not going to happen.

-3db at 50 Hz (or 42-45 Hz) without massive pressure loss (requiring lot's of gain), *generally* not going to happen, and even less-so with a "tight" sound yet low mass driver. (..being "driven" by a current source amplifier would be an exception, or something with a high enough output impedance that will react favorably to the rising impedance near fs.)

Basically what you want is a powered/gain implementation to achieve the kind of low freq. response you are looking for - for the type of driver you are looking for, and when you do that you can go even lower in freq. near the average (subject to spl).

Alternate suggestion:

I'd be looking at 2 mid-bass drivers with 16 ohm coils (wired in parallel) with a target of about 80 Hz on the low-end, with a powered dipole subwoofer below it (in freq.). Drivers stacked very close to the floor (..tightly "bounded" to the floor for gain).

Ex. midbass "dipole" drivers wired in parallel x2 (per channel/loudspeaker):

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 12PR300

Ex. subwoofer "dipole" drivers wired in parallel x4 (per channel):

SW-12-16FR

..and which ever of the higher Power "H" series meets your needs here (per channel):

Rythmik Audio • Subwoofer plate amplifiers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.