Tannoy Crossover (noisy)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I posted something similar to the Tannoy Group, but it's not what it used to be. My speakers - TANNOY SRM15x - with K3808 Drivers

Part I - I have noisy switches in my SRM15x crossovers. I have attempted to
remove the top plate but the black plastic cover (shown in picture) that
sits on top of the transformers doesn't want to release itself. I wonder if
the glue has run onto the transformer.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to remove it without breaking it? Heat it up or just force it? (See picture)

Once it's removed, I am in two minds as to either removing and jumping the switches OR cleaning up the contacts. I take note from Zenmod that it may be a dry joint and removing / reflowing the solder will help. What do you suggest?

Part -II SHOULD I upgrade the capacitors. The caps on my crossovers are yellow plastic Phillips "HQ series 344" caps - reasonably modern (1990s?). Would there be an audible benefit to changing to modern capacitors? Do I need to upgrade ALL of the capacitors? Do the switches switch between different capacitance values or different inductors depending on level / presence / roll-off?

Part - III My speakers have a "Time Delay Circuit" - is it necessary and if so should I upgrade the caps? It looks like the "out" section of the PCB isn't connected and so isn't used at all!!!

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8551-001.jpg
    1-IMG_8551-001.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20180417_162937 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180417_162937 (1).jpg
    394 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.