4 and 8ohm in series speakers delay or db difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Looking to get a pair of Marantz 6MK2 with Monacor 8ohm replacement already fitted in bass because the original was not available anymore and no tweeters. Now the thing is that I want to use them as aid for the bass part for a pair of Isophon speakers that have 20cm bass and are of 4ohm. The idea would be to have the bass a little more sustained by the 25cm driver of the Marantz cause of the bigger driver and theyr cabinets would be also the Isophon stands. Now the question is since the M. are 8 ohm and the I. are 4 ohm when connected in serries for me to get 6 ohm because a+b speakers require 8 ohm at least per speaker would I get the signal delivered by the M. delayed when playing head to head with the I.? Or will I get less db from the Marantz because they are 8 ohm and the above mentioned Isophon are 4ohm? Thanks!

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Connecting them in series is not a good idea because their impedance variations will interact and may cause unexpected response variations. There will be no problem with delays.

If the two speakers are crossed to cover different parts of the spectrum, then you will be OK to put them in parallel. Crossing them raises their impedance out of band.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then just wire them in parallel...if you wire 4 ohm woofer with 4 ohm mid in parallel with proper crossover, resulting speaker is 4 ohm. Not 2, as amplifier sees each speaker through its crossover.
If you connect 8 ohm woofer with 4 ohm mid in parallel, amp will see 8 ohm in low frequencies, and mid as 4 ohm...therfore amp will need to handle 4 ohms, and such speaker would be labeled as 4 ohm for that reason.

The Iso are factory made with xo the Marantz are as well Factory made with xo. Yes they will stand one on the other. I would have put them on a and b independent one pair from the other but the amplifier says a + b driven simultaneously should be pair a at 8 ohm and pair b at 8ohm again. In my case I have 4 and 8ohm not the required 8 and 8ohm.

Attachments

• 180505458_marantz-6-mkii-speakers.jpg
    180505458_marantz-6-mkii-speakers.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 66
  • P_20180419_105837.jpg
    P_20180419_105837.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 62
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
He has Monocor 10" 8 ohm drivers in Marantz 6MK2 cabinets, these are going to be used as subs. The main speakers are Isophon 4 ohm with 8" woofers. The Isophons will sit on top of the Marantz cabinets.

The amp wants at least 4 ohms at the A+B outputs so he has them in series.

...thats just wrong.
Not to mention his calculation that 4 ohm and 8 ohm in parallel results in 6 ohm! Since when.

As it is now, neither series nor parallel would work. I still do not know if the marantz box has only woofer in it with low pass crossover, or its complete fullrange speaker with tweeter still working. If thats the case, no matter what he does its no good.

He needs big coil beffore the marantz woofer, if the intention is to use it as sub, and high pass filter with just one cap for isophon, all in one output, never in A + B.

Last edited:
My experience has brought me to conclude thet the Isophones sound better than focal chorus that i had in hand and ribbon tweeters and many many others that I had, they just have such a swwet sound but for more harmonics on the sustained part for the chello and other thick stringed instruments a bass of 300mm or 250mm make the need to have them being reproduced by themmore desirable. That was what i wanted isophones with a bigger body containing a bigger bass uderneath them. I pin this project and better look for a Harman Kardon TS11 sub woofer. I have one it is great but is linked to home cinema. The next one will better serve for my stereo system.

The Iso are factory made with xo the Marantz are as well Factory made with xo. Yes they will stand one on the other. I would have put them on a and b independent one pair from the other but the amplifier says a + b driven simultaneously should be pair a at 8 ohm and pair b at 8ohm again. In my case I have 4 and 8ohm not the required 8 and 8ohm.
Marantz crossover is to high in frequency for the intended application. With big enough inductor Marantz/Monacor will behave like a "subwoofer" for the Isophon loudspeaker, so Isophon must have capacitor in series to bring impedances right - for the total of 4-ohm nominal. No A+B!
Adason in post #14 gave valid approximate values for the needed inductor and capacitor.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.