Question - I see lots of high quality speaker cabinets use "wavy" insides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You probably can get some answers from this similar thread: Innerchoic cabinets - should I?

I have used the wavy shaped insides myself in my build:
stacked.jpg

All you'd really need is the curves, not the waves. I dunno if that will improve the sound of a speaker or not, (I suspect it will) but if there are no parallel surfaces, that's about as good as you can get, short of making the insides a quadratic sequence.

Say - If you were mixing a record, while actually sitting inside your monitors, this could be a very good thing. :)

Sonce,

"Again, no relation to "wavy" style of the inside of the cabinet."

And again I have to tell you that it does. Literally, anything you do to the inside of an enclosure will have a measureable effect, wavy or otherwise. Even the basket of a driver or its magnet has a measureable effect including the chamfering of the inside edge of the drivers cutout. However, that does not mean that a "wavy" style surface will completely eradicate standing waves, but it will help to disperse standing waves over time in the same way as Bailey's article describes, by having non parallel surfances.
But all this does not negate the use of acoustically absorbtive materials.

This is an interesting point - I've always understood the chamfering of the driver hole is quite important.
(I think I read a post by Troels Gravesen about this)

But yesterday I happened to find this image of Neat Motive SX1 speakers - that one of my friends has and thinks of really highly - and I noticed a lack of chamfering.?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/neat/3.png

(Or maybe it is chamfered and it's just the angle of the photo?)

However, that does not mean that a "wavy" style surface will completely eradicate standing waves, but it will help to disperse standing waves over time in the same way as Bailey's article describes, by having non parallel surfances.
No, it won't. Size of the non parallel surfaces (>15") and angles (45 deg.) inside the Bailey box are much, much bigger than the "waves" depicted here. One-inch "waves" have no audible effect. To be effective, dimensions of the object has to be appreciable part of the sound wavelength. 1000 Hz has over 13" wavelength. Wave with 13" wavelength do not "see" 1-inch obstacle.
Chamfering of driver hole is effective, because it is very close to the speaker cone (same with speaker basket and magnet). "Waves" are far away.

As far as breaking up waves, try to always think in terms of wavelengths. If the variation in the surface is ~1 inch, well, 1 inch is only 1/4 wavelength at about 3.5kHz. So the surface wobbles aren't going to do much of anything below that frequency (below 1/4 wavelength, physical features become more or less invisible). The wavelength fraction is even smaller (much!) in solid materials, btw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.