Eton vs Scanspeak vs Thiel vs Dynaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to built new speakers and consider Eton (ER4 + 7-372/32) or Scanspeak (D2904 rev or D2905/9900 rev + 15S8530 + 18W8550) or Thiel+P (C12 maybe + C44 or 79 + eton/scanspeak woofer)
Or I built again with Dynaudio this time with D330 esotar + 24W100 or 20W75 or so.

Scanspeak D2904 sounds a bit sharp (maybe not well enough demped with the other units ?) and the D2905 has too much of am ssss sound but being very relaxed in sound

What is the sound of C12 or ER4 ?

I like a detailed, relaxed open sound and have this with my Dynaudio speakers. The ESL's from Martin Logan is also a sound I like.

I listened to the Mangers as well but was dissapointed in the lack of brightness

Any useful suggestions ?

(sorry for my english)

Adrie,

ER4 is better for me, but the problem is the midwoofer: 7" is big for a two way, so cone technology is drammatical important. I know/tested many type of materials but only HDA sounds so natural. I know the question is controversial (because Audax is too cheap?) but this is my experience.
Remember that no right crossover = no right sound, but at least you start ok!

Again, the rear type of enclosoure for the ER4 is foundamental, it is a long story...

It is very simple to build a wonderful cabinet, very exotic drivers, etc. but if at the end an old pair of Ls3/5a sounds better... what the meaning to do that? ;)

Bye!

Dear Adrie,
It surprises me when you like the sound of Martin Logan and dislike the Mangers. IMHO, the ESL is equally muted in the high as I suspected is caused by the beaming effect from the large panel. BTW, I heard the Martin pairing with the YBAs.

I had played with or listened to most of the drivers you had mentioned, and below is my humble opinion ....

1) ER4 - Clean and detail but can't express the inner emotion of the artist in vocal. In short, just clean sound!

2) C12 - Clean and quite. It is in between the best of the metal and soft dome. If you like the extreme metallic richness of triangles and cymbal, the C12 has something missing! If you like the throaty sound of beautiful vocal, it has some thing missing too!

3) Scanspeak D2904 - You already had your own opinon.

4) Dynaudio 24W100 or 20W75 - If you get it right, it can produce very tight, accurate and authoritative bass but in the expand of amplifier power. You will need a muscle amp like a 250w Krell and above to do the job! The problem is in the driver's voil coil design which sucks a lot of current!

4) Dynaudio Esotar D330 - Excellent for piano and vocal, especially female voice!

5) Eton - 7-372/32 - Clean, detail but don't have the extra bottom end as compare to the Dynaudio 24W100.

6) Scanspeak - 21W/8555, excellent midbass driver! Punchy, dynamic, weighty and don't suck a lot of current from the amp! If you are looking for more bass and lower bottom end, consider a 3-way with the bigger scanspeak like 25W/8565 .... you wouldn't be far!

Above are just some of my person experience gathered by playing and trying out with most of them for the past 10 over years. Again, it is a personal and subjective opinion and have by no means belittle any products.

Again .... the choice is yours and all the best in your project!

YC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.