Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Smallest Footprint Horn and Driver that can reach 500hz
Smallest Footprint Horn and Driver that can reach 500hz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2018, 10:26 PM   #141
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cask05 View Post
I've actually listened to both horns over an extended time period using a variety of EQ configurations in each case. There is something other than EQ which is audible. I attribute it to the exact horn profiles.
Thanks for the info.

Based on that, of my affordable / obtainable options, making something myself seems to be the better choice (cos the flat walls).
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:18 PM   #142
Cask05 is offline Cask05  United States
diyAudio Member

That's my takeaway based on my K-402 and K-510 listening experience vs. other horn profiles. I suppose that any dual-flare straight-sided horn will be an improvement on the sound quality over curved-wall horns (curved in the throat area of the horn).

I think that Geddes gave an explanation here why that's the case, and why Webster's 1D formula doesn't apply to horn performance once the horn wall curves away from the throat such that an observer looking at toward the throat sees nothing but horn wall instead of the throat of the driver.

Chris
Old 9th July 2018, 06:19 AM   #143
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK.

Looks like I can replace / rebuild this system (pictured: 80cm wide horn + bass box) as a single box straight-walled MEH.

Single box: because the 2-box stack has poor space efficiency, with ~120 litres of wasted volume behind the horn.
Straight wall: partly based on Chris' advice, partly for ease of build.
MEH: partly out of interest and partly cos the current sound is let down (especially in the current room) by the low mids & bass.

As the photo indicates, it is a fairly big living room, not a dedicated audio room (or man cave), with plenty of hard surfaces. One wall is mostly glass. The LF sound quality changes hugely as the speaker moves; the corner is much better than a previous spot.

While the dimensions of the current horn are OK (80cm width), my GF doesn't love the industrial aesthetic. I want to build with ply & apply a pretty skin of 5mm bamboo (non bendy), hence simple = good (the fewer angles I have to do, the better). The secondary expansion would be a hand-shaped roundover to a laminated panel, like in this project, which is the nicest effect I can get without having l334 woodwork ski||z.

I chose the dimensions + angles below (by trial and error) to get a simple horn with reasonable angles that can be cut using router bits I already own (the angle z = 45 degrees, 'r' = 22.5 degrees).

FULL SIZE, SINGLE EXPANSION VERSION

90 degrees - horizontal
65.52 degrees - vertical
400Hz - horizontal pattern control (vertical should be ~600Hz)
31mm throat (shape to 44mm round - this is ~actual driver size if measuring to the middle of the surround)

SIDES:

A Throat: 31.2mm
C Mouth: 386.8mm
B Length: 394.6mm

TOP & BOTTOM:

A Throat: 31.2mm
G Mouth: 585.8mm
E Length: 331.8mm

OVERALL SIZE:

Width: 585.8mm
Height: 386.8mm
Depth: 279mm

Syncalc + Hornresp tell me I should be OK going 2-way (crossed at 500-700Hz) using the 2" Tympany driver plus a quad of 6.5" woofers. The Tmmphany SDS-160F25PR01-08 are cheap, only 1kg each, and would work well with ~30 litres each. It looks like I could cross them (digital filter) anywhere from 500Hz to 1kHz.

Does all of that seem reasonable?

Another 'easy' option (using drivers I already own) would be a 3-way with a dome or 1" CD at the apex, and a couple of 3" mids per box, but I can't see what that'd gain me over the 2-way option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn in room.jpg (321.6 KB, 94 views)

Smallest Footprint Horn and Driver that can reach 500hzHide this!Advertise here!