Smallest Footprint Horn and Driver that can reach 500 Hz

Part of the 'barrier to entry' with the Unity horns is that you have to be fairly adept at woodworking, 3d printing, or both. Until Parts Express or diysoundgroup starts selling a Unity horn, that will be the case. (The patent is expired, so there's nothing stopping them from selling one, just as they did with the AMT ribbons when THAT patent expired.)

In the meantime, it might be worthwhile to come up with a design that could be mated to a 2" horn.

View attachment 675662

For instance, this ZXPC horn is big enough to control directivity down to 700Hz, and it will load down even further. One could 3D print the first 4" or so, and then mate it to this waveguide. Basically the first 4" of the horn would be the "Unity" part and the rest would be a plain ol' waveguide.

This would simplify things for a DIYer quite a bit.

Down to 700hz? I doubt that...unless its way bigger than what I think it is.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, that one is 40x20 and too small for keeping the directivity control low. My 50x30 AMT1 Synergy horn will be huge, somewhere around 75 cm wide I expect. A bit out of topic - but I think a wide coverage horn can be relatively small. The ES-600 is not exactly small, but would be still acceptable for me.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here’s an LTH142 fitted with an SB65WBAC25-4 driver. It’s about -3dB at 500Hz.
526844d1453538138-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-lth142-eq-6th-fdw-polar.png

Pretty compact as I was making a “Bookshelf horn” with it. More info here:
A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

529809d1454908866-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-baffle-black-2s.png

Here it is crossed with two 8in woofers in a point source horn:
534203d1456601648-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-xbush-harsch-xo.png

526756d1453501391-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-long-adapter-photo.png

The Faital Pro LTH142 is 350mm x 240mm and is probably one of the most compact horns that will reach 500Hz when used with the SB65WBAC25-4 driver.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1042-faitalpro-lth142-4-bolt-specifications.pdf

Last edited:
Dear hornwannabe,

Could you please clarify the following:

Yes it is the es600 Horn :) Had a local carpenter cnc it. Cant wait to pick it up.

The ES-600 seems to have a 1.4" throat from the following datasheet:
ES-600 Bi-Radial Wood Horn – Joseph Crowe

However, the DE99 seems to have a 2" exit according to PAudio:
https://paudio.com.mx/files/P.-Audio.pdf

So my question is about how you managed to mate them together with these differing dimensions? Or is the DE99 really a 1.5" exit snoutless version (copy of JBL 2447) ? If yes then it is definitely interesting.

Regards.

Last edited:
K510 Build

Since there is a lot of discussion about the K510 on this thread I thought I’d post my almost 2 year build that’s finally nearing completion. This is a K510 on top of a separate sealed bass bin with 2 12 Eminence Kappa Neos. Active crossovers with FIR filters built in rePhase. Originally built in May ‘19 and unfinished until I painted them in November. Only thing left is grills based on Fender Tweed fabric.

Final tuning is awaiting an extra IcePower 1000asp module which us all I’m short for having 4 amp channels for the bass bin and moving to a 2.5 way crossover. DSP is custom using the Reaper DAW and a Motu 8 channel audio interface. Started with a miniDSP 2x8 that I found too noisy. Filters are based on the recommended DSP settings for the KP 904HF, which is the pro bundle I bought from Klipsch containing the horn along with the k691(B&C de750) CD and metal stands.

When I finish these I put together a build thread.

Attachments

• 12F6066F-2315-4BB8-A8C8-6E79F6FFDD43.jpeg
    12F6066F-2315-4BB8-A8C8-6E79F6FFDD43.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 299
Dear hornwannabe,

Could you please share a little more information on the PA-DE99 (pancake) driver that you have?

What is the throat like? Is there a distance between the phase plug and the driver exit (like in 2447)? The dimensions for the exit i.e. 1.5" or 2"? It would be really nice if you could you please post some closeup photos of the PA-DE99 throat and phase plug. I'm asking this because there is not much information available on this affordable driver.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dear hornwannabe,

Could you please clarify the following:

Yes it is the es600 Horn :) Had a local carpenter cnc it. Cant wait to pick it up.

The ES-600 seems to have a 1.4" throat from the following datasheet:
ES-600 Bi-Radial Wood Horn – Joseph Crowe

However, the DE99 seems to have a 2" exit according to PAudio:
https://paudio.com.mx/files/P.-Audio.pdf

So my question is about how you managed to mate them together with these differing dimensions? Or is the DE99 really a 1.5" exit snoutless version (copy of JBL 2447) ? If yes then it is definitely interesting.

Regards.
Dear hornwannabe,

Could you please share a little more information on the PA-DE99 (pancake) driver that you have?

What is the throat like? Is there a distance between the phase plug and the driver exit (like in 2447)? The dimensions for the exit i.e. 1.5" or 2"? It would be really nice if you could you please post some closeup photos of the PA-DE99 throat and phase plug. I'm asking this because there is not much information available on this affordable driver.

Thanks in advance.
Here you go.

Used this adapter to mate the CD to the Horn

https://www.parts-express.com/Eminence-HA14-2-1-1-4-Aluminum-Horn-Adapter-290-5626

Attachments

• DE99 1.jpeg
    DE99 1.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 53
  • De99 2.jpeg
    De99 2.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 57
Just an update on this, finally built the speakers.

Arbitrarily chasing 500hz xover is not a good idea hahahaha.

It is possible but room, horn, and woofer integration coupled with crossover design is more important than an arbitrary crossover point.

Settled on a 900hz - 1200hz xover point and here's a link to a thread clarifying slope choices.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ns-for-600hz-horn-and-jbl-2225h.384433/page-2