Cat Proofing Speakers

Hi Guys,

My new cat has caused some damaged to my newly DIY built stand mount speakers. He jumped on top by clawing his way up the front baffle tearing the rubber surround of my Satori MW16P-4 bass driver which will now have to be replaced by a new one.

I was wondering if anyone had any cat proofing ideas.

There is no front grill, I think a cloth grill would not have helped.
I don't know of any metal grills which fit the MW16P-4 very well.

Thanks.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• SpeakerCage.jpg
    SpeakerCage.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 858
Yes, it would be good for the cat(s) to have both high stable perches from which to safely oversee things, as well as suitable scratching posts such as the corrugated cardboard mats that many of my cats like and an unfinished(maybe a little cleaning and buffing w/ sandpaper) softwood 2x4 propped up somewhere the cats find handy.
As to grills, I would lean to something like a hardware cloth, cosmetically enhanced, and possibly set up as removable. That would be a starting point for me, but there are other solutions which may well work out better.
Good Luck and enjoy both the speakers and the cats.

Last edited:
Why not use the speakers themselves to deter the cat ? Like a proximity detector that controls some noise generator that is connected to the amp ?

I once used a piezo tweeter and a function generator to protect some fresh paintwork on a boat from our neighbour's nosey cat. It worked quite well.

Regards

Charles

Or do the Soldermizer method, if appearance is not a concern: give in to the cats. I have four. My current speakers are a very used pair of Yorkville Unity. I have < $600 in them. Conveniently, they are the black carpet covered models. They provide good sound while also doubling as cat scratch posts and "condos" :) I only get upset at my felines if they walk on/sleep on the keyboard of the music server laptop.

Or do the Soldermizer method, if appearance is not a concern: give in to the cats. I have four. My current speakers are a very used pair of Yorkville Unity. I have < $600 in them. Conveniently, they are the black carpet covered models. They provide good sound while also doubling as cat scratch posts and "condos" :) I only get upset at my felines if they walk on/sleep on the keyboard of the music server laptop.

Or just cover the speakers with thick carpeting, and let the cats have at it.