AHA! - ScanSpeak mid-woofs do measure better!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Not to beat a dead horse, but I feel vindicated enough to run through the mall in flip flops and swim trunks yelling "You reek a lot!" ;)

In previous discussions, the arguments were made that the ScanSpeak Revelator 18W series mid-woofers had particularly bad ringing. My comments, made like the genteel bohemian that I am, were that the 18W/4531 I used simply did not measure nearly as bad as the ScanSpeak spec sheets, and I wondered at the time if the drivers had not gone through some improvement.

Well, here we go, my buddy Troels independently validated my observations:

He posts the original ScanSpeak image:

18WU.png

As well as his own measurements which are much closer to what I measured, and published:

red-18WU_spl-jenzen-baffle_B.png

So, for whatever reason, when it comes to these series of driver, ScanSpeak's measurements are not up to date. These are much better measuring and sounding drivers than the spec would lead you to believe.

Update: The discrepancy which Troels mentions above is exactly what I see, but for a different driver. I was talking about the 18W/4531, while Troels experimented with the 18WU/8741/T00. However, his observations and conclusions are exactly the same as mine:

And I was really surprised to find the ScanSpeak 18WU performing exceptionally well compared to the infinite baffle response found at ScanSpeak's data sheet:

Even the difference in measurement from published to in cabinet are practically the same.

Troels attributes the difference to infinite vs. actual baffles, but at the top of the mid-woofer's range, that doesn't make much sense to me. I want to think this is more of an engineering change that was not documented. Let me go look at Zaphs data in a bit.

Last edited:
Should have done this before, but here is a comparison of the 18W/8531 from the spec sheet:

attachment.php

From Zaph's comparison page:

attachment.php

And not exactly the same driver, but my own measurements with the 4531 (4 Ohm) variant:

attachment.php

Notice that my chart uses a fine-scale, and that there is a little hump, but it's nowhere near the magnitude of the hump in the spec, and it's certainly not a shelf.

You can see in the yellow line the final slope after 2nd order filtering applied. There is a notch filter and Zobel but they don't contribute to this discussion. They just flatten the slope. You may review the full crossover design in the attachments on this thread:

SNR-1 : Mundorf / Scanspeak 2 Way

Based on this review, I remain commited to my original thesis: The 18W/x531 mid-woofers are very good sounding and very easy to integrate with a tweeter in a two-way system.

Best,

E

Attachments

• 18w-8531g-curve.jpg
    18w-8531g-curve.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 691
  • 18W8531G-FR.gif
    18W8531G-FR.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 671
  • MyOwn.jpg
    MyOwn.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
So, for whatever reason, when it comes to these series of driver, ScanSpeak's measurements are not up to date. These are much better measuring and sounding drivers than the spec would lead you to believe.

-as noted by Troels: it's the interaction with the baffle. ;)

I've heard these woofers in a few designs (all 2-ways) and didn't particularly like them anywhere except around 90-400 hz. Fairly clean and "punchy" in this region (despite not being very efficient) with a bass reflex design and an amplifier with enough current. Depth above average in this region, though not great. (..the "Illumintors" are slightly less "clear" but have more depth and better imaging in the same bandwidth.)

I'm really not sure why people would pay that much for this particular midbass (..with a design that has the potential to de-laminate). :eek:

-as noted by Troels: it's the interaction with the baffle. ;)

Which is clear from the quote from him in my second post, above. To refresh, Troels said this:

And I was really surprised to find the ScanSpeak 18WU performing exceptionally well compared to the infinite baffle response found at ScanSpeak's data sheet:

It is also clear, from the phrase I quoted directly, that he's very surprised at how big a difference there is overall. So am I.

I've heard these woofers in a few designs (all 2-ways) and didn't particularly like them anywhere except around 90-400 hz. Fairly clean and "punchy" in this region (despite not being very efficient) with a bass reflex design and an amplifier with enough current. Depth above average in this region, though not great. (..the "Illumintors" are slightly less "clear" but have more depth and better imaging in the same bandwidth.)

I'm really not sure why people would pay that much for this particular midbass (..with a design that has the potential to de-laminate). :eek:

We'll absolutely have to disagree. I have never ever heard a mid-bass I liked more.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
We'll absolutely have to disagree. I have never ever heard a mid-bass I liked more.

Best,

Erik

..it depends on what you are "looking"/listening for, and in what design.

I'd go for a 5 1/4" SB15MFC30-8 at about 1/4 of the price in a heart-beat (vs. the Scan), even with the loss in lower freq. extension. Provided it's loaded properly, it's substantially better above 100 hz, particularly as it transitions to any typical tweeter (for multiple reasons).

IF you can design around the limitations of tweeter integration with a 10" - then the Discover 10" 26W/4534G is quite a bit better (with everything assuming proper loading) and can also provide lower freq. extension.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.