How many big name speaker MFG's make thier own drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How ment big name speaker MFG,s make thier own drivers?

The more I learn it seems few big name speaker mfg,s actually make thier own drivers. Or am I wrong? How meny driver MFG,s are there Vrs OEM speaker companies for all that matter? My KEF's are supposedly propritory. I wonder how meny more actually are? Please excuse spelling. Jimbo

hi

i can confirm easily that most of the drivers used by large mfg s are oem s

right down to the logo s

i will have to divide this in three to catch which is oem and which is not

technically its very easy checking out the frames and powder coating ets , i have already mentioned how to catch chinese & indian oem spks in a seperate thread ill find it and copy the tread so one can follow the technical way of judging the source of oem

the other way is (in 3 parts)

firstly top liner products (expensive products) are not oem for eg
jbl sources huge amount of products from taiwan which in turn has around 30 factories in main land china

1)
jbl s pro range 2242 , 2226 ets are all made in usa & equally similarly all their multi media speakers are made in china

2)
then there are co s whose entire range of products is made in china , they motly will not have high - end products to offer

3)
80 % of the car audio drivers are made in china few of jbl , s alpine ets is not but if you go by the likes of infinity (jbl subsidary) entire Kappa range is chinese so is jenson ets

4 th category , if there is a launch of speakers in which it is an idea or a concept dependant like the bose 802 or the jbl control series (where the material of the cabinet does most of the work) - mostly such speakers right down to the logo is chinese

over a period of time i have come to judge a oem speaker to a original one by just hearing it

i have travelled widely all over the world

products devoloped or sold in a certain market also changes the originality of the drivers for eg .

i have critically audioned b&w ets but the stuff they are pushing in the indian market is way below standard some-time (depending on model and price)

sometimes i have even seen strikingly similar looks and sound quality of good branded products which have a distinct resmblance to speakers i have heard and seen in my stay of 5 months in china

suranjan das gupta

transducer design engineer

I believe eminence is OEM for alot of pro audio, musical instrument and consumer (and maybe car?) drivers. I know they make or have made for Peavey, M&K sound, Marshall, Yorkville, Yamaha, API, Fender, Klipsch, Bag End, Community, Bullfrog etc. http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/reviews/testimonies/testimonies.htm

Im not sure where EV, JBL etc get their drivers from.

In the car audio world, I believe TC Sounds in california makes alot of drivers. Infact I think they make the Adire line, cause this one partsexpress close out model I have looks exactly like the Tumult I use to have when looking at the front of the cone.

Theres also Cadence, which I believe makes Kicker and JL audio, but cadence is listed on Eminence's 'user' page... hmm

I believe TC Sounds in california makes alot of drivers. Infact I think they make the Adire line
Eminence makes the Shiva and Tempest. The Brahma line and Tumult are made by Destijl Engineering out of Las Vegas.

cause this one partsexpress close out model I have looks exactly like the Tumult I use to have when looking at the front of the cone.
Is it the Kove that PE recently had on sale? From what I read on some car audio forums, that was made by TC. More recent Kove subs have been made in China.

TC Sounds supplies subs for Aerial Acoustics, Styke Audio (until recently), SV Subwoofers (except for the PCi driver), Eclipse, Elemental Designs and many others. They also sell their own subs at one site.

Eminence supplies some Adire drivers (mentioned above), the Dayton DVC line for PE and number of others listed on the Eminence site.

Destijl Engineering supplies all of the drivers for Resonant Engineering (they have the same address in the phone book), some drivers for Adire, the PCi driver for SV Subwoofers and used to supply Onyx Audio. There was a HUGE controversy in the car audio forums when someone pulled a plastic cover off an Onyx Audio sub and the magnet was stamped Resonant Engineering.

NSA labs supplies the Dayton Titanic MKIII's (and maybe other drivers) for PE. There's very little on the NSA site linking them to any companies.

-Robert

Robert_J said:
There was a HUGE controversy in the car audio forums when someone pulled a plastic cover off an Onyx Audio sub and the magnet was stamped Resonant Engineering.

-Robert

I believe it was the other way around, an RE sold sub with an Onyx label under the sticker.

B&W does all their own stuff. I saw a picture of their R & D and they have a ton of equipment, I believe the person who took the photos said that the turn around time from idea to proto was very short.

I believe it was the other way around, an RE sold sub with an Onyx label under the sticker.
You are correct. There was a batch that didn't meet Onyx specs but were sold under the RE name. Between work and about a dozen audio/home theater boards, it's really hard to keep track of everything.

At one time Klipsh made all of their drivers and had a healthy OEM business at their factory in Hope, AR. There were a lot of good pics along with the story in Speakerbuilder mag. I have no idea what their current manufacturing situation is.

-Robert

Robert_J said:
You are correct. There was a batch that didn't meet Onyx specs but were sold under the RE name. Between work and about a dozen audio/home theater boards, it's really hard to keep track of everything.

At one time Klipsh made all of their drivers and had a healthy OEM business at their factory in Hope, AR. There were a lot of good pics along with the story in Speakerbuilder mag. I have no idea what their current manufacturing situation is.

-Robert
I don't know the entire Klipsch situation, but eminence makes some of their bass drivers.

Chris8sirhC said:
That stamped frame and the cone on the adirea audio tempest looks exactly like the frame and cone on my dayton DVC 15''er.
There are dozens of manufacturers that use common baskets, so that doesn't really mean much. When I first got into selling car audio, 90% of the woofers we sold used the exact same stamped steel basket, and the other 10% all used the exact same cast aluminum basket. There was little or no variation because everybody got their baskets from the same places. That practice really hasn't changed. Even a company that manufacturers their own drivers probably gets the materials from another company.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.