Help choose 2-way kit, Illumina66 or CNO MKII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 2.2cuft floor stander sounds interesting, do you have plans or more details about this speaker?
Troels uses a 15.7" high stand to raise the center of the tweeter to 37". If you extend the current cabinet by 16" you increase the woofer volume by ~1cuft, for a total of ~2.2cuft. IF IN ADDITION you increase the depth of the cabinet from ~9" to 10.5"-11", you increase to total woofer volume to ~2.8cuft for the deepest Qtc=0.7 bass.

You do not want to change the baffle width, or the "top relative" physical location of the drivers, since these set the on-baffle measurements used for the crossover.
========
========
jtgofish: The paper design crossover I included with the Hulgich Ella_mk2 picture is a common "showcase the midrange" BW3/BW3 flat-baffle topology which offers constant power plus a wide midrange operating range. A >2,300Hz LR2 crossover circuit on the SB15NRX30 does not adequately attenuate the cone breakup distortion. An LR2 circuit would be a better match to the poly plastic cone SB15MFC30. My paper design uses the "hi-value" $32 SB26STCN-4 dome tweeter - wide bandwidth and only 2" diameter for shortest C-to-C.

I read that 350Hz and 2200Hz crossovers were used on the production Hulgich Ella_mk2.

Attachments

• Floor Stander.jpg
    Floor Stander.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
OT ....
8+5+1 Avalon-Style Klone. (ported)SB23NRXS45-8, (sealed)SB15NRXC30-8, (low diffraction)SB26STCN-4
Attached is textbook1 230/2300Hz LR2/LR2/LR2 crossover which illustrates midrange cone breakup artifacts on final SPL.
Attached is textbook2 350/2300Hz LR2/LR2/LR2 crossover.

8+5+1 Avalon-Style Klone. Any crossover design suggestions?

OT ...

Attachments

• Textbook1 LR2.jpg
    Textbook1 LR2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Textbook2 LR2.jpg
    Textbook2 LR2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 275
OT ....
8+5+1 Avalon-Style Klone. (ported)SB23NRXS45-8, (sealed)SB15NRXC30-8, (low diffraction)SB26STCN-4
Attached is textbook1 230/2300Hz LR2/LR2/LR2 crossover which illustrates midrange cone breakup artifacts on final SPL.

OT ...

Thanks for the comment!

Both options looks great.
I kinda locked on the 3-W Discovery kit, since I'm familiar with the drivers.
The extended cabinet sounds awesome.

I will add 2 powered sub woofers to the 3-W so I'm not concerned from the bass but I might go for this.

If I want to this to the 3-W Discovery kit - is it possible? - Do I need to change something except to extend the cabinet?

What are the frequency response of the 3-W?
Is the low Hz is 30?

I can't find this detail :eek:

Thanks

Last edited:
What are the frequency response of the 3-W?
Is the low Hz is 30? I can't find this detail
Post #37 has a cut-and-paste(red-data) from Troels' Discovery3 measurements showing -F3 ~45-50Hz in standard ~40l ported woofer cabinet volume.

MORE CONFUSION.
Want to spend more on super-duper drivers and less on super-duper L-R-C crossover parts? If you have friends with enough basic electronics background to assemble a crossover you might consider a "fully specified crossover" design like Troels "Illuminator Monitor with LR2/LR2 crossover" (floor standing option also shown) and purchase generic standard quality L-R-C parts to save enough to purchase super-duper ScanSpeak 18WU/8741T00 driver paired with D2904/710003 Revelator tweeter from a discount store. A basic "screw terminals" block can be used to connect the L-R-C parts if a soldering iron is not avaliable. STUDY Troels' Illuminator Monitor LR2/LR2 crossover as an option to complement your two subwoofers. Get costs of generic crossover parts + drivers at discount website. World's BEST Drivers

CORRECTION: My post #41 should have used external cabinet depth dimensions.
"IF IN ADDITION you increase the external depth of the cabinet from ~13.5" to 15", you increase to total woofer volume to ~2.8cuft for the deepest Qtc=0.7 bass."

With a stereo pair of high quality subwoofers:
If you can afford $650/speaker_parts + cabinet costs you should re-consider Troels' Illuminator Monitor LR2/LR2. (or Illumina66 ) with modest cost crossover parts.

World's Best ScanSpeak Drivers
D2904/710003 = $276
18WU/8741-T00 = $320
Good Quality Crossover ~ $40/speaker

Attachments

• Illuminator Monitor Cost.jpg
    Illuminator Monitor Cost.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
With a stereo pair of high quality subwoofers:
If you can afford $650/speaker_parts + cabinet costs you should re-consider Troels' Illuminator Monitor LR2/LR2. (or Illumina66 ) with modest cost crossover parts.

World's Best ScanSpeak Drivers
D2904/710003 = $276
18WU/8741-T00 = $320
Good Quality Crossover ~ $40/speaker

I got really confused...

What would sound better with 1 / 2 powered sub woofer for Rock, Jazz, Indie, Hip-Hop and Blues music?

2-way like Illumina 66 / Illumintor monitor floor stand?
3-way classic like 3-W Discovery or 3-Way SBAcoustics?

Room is 15 sqm, low ceiling, crapet + curtain
I will buy miniDSP soon
In about a year I will move on to small living room - 20 sqm
Listen most of the time alone

Maybe this time I need to buy brand speaker till I will understand what really suits me.

Thanks!

OT ....

OT ...

Seems interesting too.

Maybe I will build a 3-way satori 1" + 4/5" + 8"

Do you any suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe I will build a 3-way satori 1" + 4/5" + 8"
Some listeners can hear greater high frequency details than the "common folk", and favor either ribbon tweeters, or modest diameter dome tweeters like the SB21RDC-4 and SB26STCN-4. These tweeters integrate best with a midrange which has a flat polar response above ~ 2.3kHz. The Satori MR13P-4 and MR16P-4, plus modest cost SB15NRX30, SB15MF30 can meet this requirement. The SB26STCN-4 has a 47mm diameter motor which allows a short C-to-C spacing. So, an "all Satori design" might not best meet the design goals of even $9000/pair speakers.

How are your ears? Your wife's hearing?

Attachments

• Tweets.jpg
    Tweets.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 196
  • MR13P MR16P.jpg
    MR13P MR16P.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 92
I got really confused...

What would sound better with 1 / 2 powered sub woofer for Rock, Jazz, Indie, Hip-Hop and Blues music?

2-way like Illumina 66 / Illumintor monitor floor stand?
3-way classic like 3-W Discovery or 3-Way SBAcoustics?

Room is 15 sqm, low ceiling, crapet + curtain
I will buy miniDSP soon
In about a year I will move on to small living room - 20 sqm
Listen most of the time alone

Maybe this time I need to buy brand speaker till I will understand what really suits me.

Thanks!

Is Crapet the name of your puppy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.