Help choose 2-way kit, Illumina66 or CNO MKII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not an easy descision !

First and foremost: Always try to get an demo of the speaker. Your impression of the sound of a speaker, can be miles apart from what the author or other who have heard the specific speaker. What is smooth an ear-friendly is - Though there are good evidence on an universal standard, up to personal taste.

Second - Dont fall to much in love with super duper expensive drivers. For sure the Scanspeak drivers are probably some of the best in the world. But a super expensive 2-way will never make the sound impact as a good 3-way IMO.

I would also look at SB Acoustics. The Satori tweeter is crazy good!!!

Cashing out serious money on a expensive kit and spending perhaps 200 hours on building it, is a HUGE gamble.

Finally I think, with your taste of music in mind, that you will not be satisfied with a 2-way. And I believe that you fill find a lack of impact with the Ekta. Though the Illuminator has a huge linear X-max - It is still only a 6 1/2 inch driver.

And yes, it is possible to get more bass with the subwoofers, but you still cannot cross over very high up in frequency- Therefore you need a driver that is not to small. I would say you need at least one 8" per side - Or two 6 1/2" per side.

How about Troels Nomex kit?

Not an easy descision !

First and foremost: Always try to get an demo of the speaker. Your impression of the sound of a speaker, can be miles apart from what the author or other who have heard the specific speaker. What is smooth an ear-friendly is - Though there are good evidence on an universal standard, up to personal taste.

Second - Dont fall to much in love with super duper expensive drivers. For sure the Scanspeak drivers are probably some of the best in the world. But a super expensive 2-way will never make the sound impact as a good 3-way IMO

Cashing out serious money on a expensive kit and spending perhaps 200 hours on building it, is a HUGE gamble.

Finally I think, with your taste of music in mind, that you will not be satisfied with a 2-way. And I believe that you fill find a lack of impact with the Ekta. Though the Illuminator has a huge linear X-max - It is still only a 6 1/2 inch driver.

And yes, it is possible to get more bass with the subwoofers, but you still cannot cross over very high up in frequency- Therefore you need a driver that is not to small. I would say you need at least one 8" per side - Or two 6 1/2" per side.

I agree with everything you have said.It reflects my experience of owning at least 80 pairs of speakers including two ways using very high end drivers.
A well designed 3 way using decent but not necessarily expensive drivers will beat any two way .
I also agree that the affordable SB acoustic drivers can sound superb.To me they represent a real breakthrough in building affordable 3 ways.
Also that proper woofers start at 8 inches.

"Point-and-Counterpoint" - News show in USA

MAYBE, this is the perfect opportunity to Switch to DSP!
--Superior Sound! - Excellent time and phase coherence.
--Flexibility! - Powerful room-bass equalization for two different homes.
--Education!

COMPONENTS. Instead of spending $500 on perfectionist passive L-R-C parts, plus $600 on a second subwoofer, spend $400 on two MiniDSP 2x4HD and gather up 2-powerful_amp_channels plus 6-modest_power_channels. Budget $500 for four woofers(sealed, active 8" -10" side-side). Stereo deep bass effects are audible from phase differences = avoid summed mono woofer.

ScanSpeak Illuminator 1" + 4" + 7" + 2*woofers
Satori TW29RN MR13P-4 MW19P-4 + 2*woofers like 2*SB23NRX35-8, or 2*WO24-8

CABINET. Maybe 300W 1170H 500D similar to Taipuu. Since DSP provides time and phase alignment, driver selection, edge diffraction, internal resonances, and polar dispersion become important. Naturally, you can cut the woofer holes at first build but just install MW19P-4 ports, later seal the MW19P and unscrew the covers to add the woofers when your budget allows.

My work here is done :)

Attachments

• Satori WinISD.JPG
    Satori WinISD.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Taipuu Directivity.JPG
    Taipuu Directivity.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 294

--Education!

COMPONENTS. Instead of spending $500 on perfectionist passive L-R-C parts, plus $600 on a second subwoofer, spend $400 on two MiniDSP 2x4HD and gather up 2-powerful_amp_channels plus 6-modest_power_channels. Budget $500 for four woofers(sealed, active 8" -10" side-side). Stereo deep bass effects are audible from phase differences = avoid summed mono woofer.

CABINET. Maybe 300W 1170H 500D similar to Taipuu. Since DSP provides time and phase alignment, driver selection, edge diffraction, internal resonances, and polar dispersion become important. Naturally, you can cut the woofer holes at first build but just install MW19P-4 ports, later seal the MW19P and unscrew the covers to add the woofers when your budget allows.

Well done Line Source!
At last an American who uses the metric system rather than the Neanderthal System of Weights and Measures.And one who uses it properly by quoting measurements in mm not cm.

--Education!

Thanks for that response!
I heard a lot of great reviews on the DSP, I guess I will buy it soon.

The idea of 3 way and to upgrade it with 8" woofers sounds great, but I want to buy kit with crossover that works and people builded it. I don't how to build crossover by self.

I don't have a chance to hear those speaker anywhere, I live in Israel and I didn't find in forums someone who build one of the speaker I want.

Maybe for the first building I will do the sb/ss 3 way classic. It is cheaper and less complicated then the Ekta/Ellam etc

Not an easy descision !

Second - Dont fall to much in love with super duper expensive drivers. For sure the Scanspeak drivers are probably some of the best in the world. But a super expensive 2-way will never make the sound impact as a good 3-way IMO.

Thanks.
Great options..I might go for the 3-Way Claasic.

No I think regardless of money.They will compete with speakers 2 or 3 times their price.They were voted best overall sound at the Melbourne Hi Fi Show up against speakers that cost a great deal more.

Well just because it is written somewhere does not mean it's true. Just like just because it was voted "the best", does not mean it's the best. I looked at the xover and it's basically xover with steep slope so the drivers were compromised to begin with. It's hard for me to believe one could not do better with some basic Seas Excel or some good scanspeak stuffs. But I do like the look of the cabinet. I supposed cabinets count for 90% of the cost.

I decided to build the Discovery 3-Way Classic by Troels.
It seems to suit my needs. I familiar with ScanSpeak drivers and it is a 'better' gamble.
The kit is not that expensive and I think I can handle the cabinet pretty well.

I currently have DENON AVR-X2400H reciever, I used to own Yamaha A-S501 and sold it to buy the DENON for my small HT, I love the YAMAHA more.
Anyway, what products do I need to maximize my the system? (any why)
2 miniDSP HD? SCHIIT DAC? PREAMP? AMP like Vista Audio Spark? Emotiva?
I kinda new to the serious audio world and can't really understand which products I have to buy.

I use PC to listen music (tidal, deezer, spotify and some small hi-res folder I have).

Last edited:
I decided to build the Discovery 3-Way Classic by Troels. I think I can handle the cabinet pretty well.

Will a floor standing speaker better fit your room than a stand-based speaker? Do you plan to put these speakers on top of a furniture cabinet?

A larger ~2.8cuft ported volume floor standing speaker cabinet will produce deeper bass. TOO BIG? You can just floor-extend the current cabinet for ~2.2cuft.

Scan Speak 22W/8534G00
Stand Mount. 1.2cuft (40liters empty box) -F3 =52Hz
Floor Stander. 2.8cuft -F3 = 32Hz

T-S Parameters Resonance frequency [fs] 30 Hz
Mechanical Q factor [Qms] 4.14
Electrical Q factor [Qes] 0.43
Total Q factor [Qts] 0.39
Force factor [Bl] 7.8 Tm
Mechanical resistance [Rms] 1.05 kg/s
Moving mass [Mms] 23.1 g
Compliance [Cms] 1.22 mm/N
Effective diaph. diameter [D] 173 mm
Effective piston area [Sd] 235 cm²
Equivalent volume [Vas] 94.2 l
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 88.8 dB
DC resistance [Re] 5.9 Ω
Voice coil inductance [Le] 0.56 mH
Power Handling 100h RMS noise test (IEC 17.1) 70 W

Attachments

• F3_52Hz 40liter empty.JPG
    F3_52Hz 40liter empty.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 232
  • F3_31Hz 3cuft empty cabinet.JPG
    F3_31Hz 3cuft empty cabinet.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 208
Will a floor standing speaker better fit your room than a stand-based speaker? Do you plan to put these speakers on top of a furniture cabinet?

A larger ~2.8cuft ported volume floor standing speaker cabinet will produce deeper bass. TOO BIG? You can just floor-extend the current cabinet for ~2.2cuft.

Scan Speak 22W/8534G00
Stand Mount. 1.2cuft (40liters empty box) -F3 =52Hz
Floor Stander. 2.8cuft -F3 = 32Hz

T-S Parameters Resonance frequency [fs] 30 Hz
Mechanical Q factor [Qms] 4.14
Electrical Q factor [Qes] 0.43
Total Q factor [Qts] 0.39
Force factor [Bl] 7.8 Tm
Mechanical resistance [Rms] 1.05 kg/s
Moving mass [Mms] 23.1 g
Compliance [Cms] 1.22 mm/N
Effective diaph. diameter [D] 173 mm
Effective piston area [Sd] 235 cm²
Equivalent volume [Vas] 94.2 l
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 88.8 dB
DC resistance [Re] 5.9 Ω
Voice coil inductance [Le] 0.56 mH
Power Handling 100h RMS noise test (IEC 17.1) 70 W

I have 15sq room. In the near future I will move on to 20sq living room.

The 2.2cuft floor stander sounds interesting, do you have plans or more details about this speaker? Did you designed it?
What is it :D?

I think to put the 3W on short stand mount.
I'm not concern for more bass, I have an active subwoofer, SVS SB2000 and after I will done with the speakers I will try go double.

Well just because it is written somewhere does not mean it's true. Just like just because it was voted "the best", does not mean it's the best. I looked at the xover and it's basically xover with steep slope so the drivers were compromised to begin with. It's hard for me to believe one could not do better with some basic Seas Excel or some good scanspeak stuffs. But I do like the look of the cabinet. I supposed cabinets count for 90% of the cost.

Andy: Have you actually heard the SB Drivers? SB Drivers are at least on par with ScanSpeak.

To clarify.The cabinet picture is the Hulgich Ella2.The crossover is not and I think the Hulgich uses a more expensive tweeter.
I believe the SB Acoustic drivers sound at least as good as the proper Scanspeaks let alone the cheaper Discovery Scanspeaks.They have been developed by ex Scanspeak employees.They are only cheaper because they are made in Indonesia rather than Denmark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.