New speaker in this months Popular Science

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey. This is really revolutionary..! What if.. they could spend some more money into treating the wood cone, and make it more like... paper... They could actually produce a paper cone!! I think I heard some engineers talking about actually making paper cones.. Back in the 1800's or something...?

Can anyone tell us about what extraordinary quality wood cones have to offer? This sounds like a joke...

No.. musical instruments have alot of sound.. point being you want the membrane to have alot of sound?

Most wooden musical instruments give their sound by resonating at the strings vibrations.. am I wrong? You want your speakers to resonate?

Even if I want a nuclear blast to sound real on my HT, doesn't mean I'd need radioactive speakers?

No, no, no... wood cones won't be all that different from paper or polypropylene or aerogel or wood pulp cones. The advantage is in the breakup modes--there *should* be a larger range between Fs and the start of cone breakup. Until someone here gets one of these units and measures them, we'll never know!

I really think, at this point, that the ideal cone material would be some kind of crystal, like diamond or a geode... but how to fabricate it? :D

Nappylady said:
I really think, at this point, that the ideal cone material would be some kind of crystal, like diamond or a geode... but how to fabricate it? :D

Accuton manufactures both diamond tweeters and a diamond midrange. The diamond tweeter is $2800 each, dunno about the midrange, but it's between $10000 $15000 each i think.

Fabrication? Well, first of all you would have to use synthetic diamonds, or you would have a hard time getting your hands on a large enough gem! ;)

Edit: The midrange is 5cm and is rated 600Hz to 25kHz
This swedish webshop sells it for 130 000 SEK each

Circlotron said:
I wonder what a polypropylene violin would sound like?

LOL, I can see it how, moulded polyprop violins better then stradavarious. However some people do make guitar tops out of carbon fibre, although it slightly different. I think a plastic violin would sound pretty awful actually because the wood needs to be "excitable" to poduce the sound, most plastics are self damping unless they are made very brittle. Oops I dropped the violin now its in pieces :D

The Paulinator said:
The article says that "Sound waves travel fast through wood."

Why is that relevant? What is it... a stationary wood cone with a normal speaker behind it?

HAHA, However accuton do mention with regards to their diamond tweets that it has the fastest sound propogation of all other materials or something.

Dood. This wooden discussion has gone a little far..

I seriously doubt the wooden drivers described can perform anywhere near good ones like Seas Excel, Scan Speak, Focal, Accuton, Eton, PHL, etc, etc. Look at it's price. "Available in some DVD system"... "Price $550".. Would one really expect extraordinary drivers in a complete system priced lower than my shorts? No.

Maybe this is a revolution still. Not for most people in this forum, but for the poor asian guys working on the cornfields with no money but lots of wood and sake.. Now they can make their own drivers! Good for them! This is still not news just because someone claim it is. A speaker will not sound violin even though you build it of violin. This is not how things work.

Make me believe that nobody figured out how to bend wood to form a cone unntil 2004! This is a cheap setup using cheap drivers, cheap materials, and cheap marketing. Cheap cheap cheap. :smash:

I'll be waiting for the pure wood ribbon transducer...

The reason that's important is because the wood is so much less prone to break up at higher frequencies.

Breakup occurs because the speaker cone is being pushed back and forth so fast that it would rather change shape, than keep up with the voice coil. This behavior is inversely correlated to the speed of sound through the material. So, stone or crystal would make a nearly ideal material, since sound waves travel through them so fast.

Sound waves travel fast through wood, so a well-engineered cone will have a very large range from Fs to breakup.

Notice that the 5cm diamond midrange (5cm... that's like 2.5-3", right?) is rated from 600hz to 25,000hz. A 10" woofer, coupled with that driver, could cover the *entire* human hearing range and then some, without dispersion problems, and plenty of bass!

*DROOL*

I think I'm going to go talk to my sister... she's a geologist; she knows about rocks and crystals. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.