old school heathkit speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With sequential part numbers, the woofers and horns almost certainly came from the same kit. If the horns are fairly large (12-15" wide if I remember correctly) the drivers might be from the kit version of the Altec VOT. If so, they are the original Altec drivers and would be very worthwhile to someone doing restoration. Try the vintage guys.

Yes, very worthwhile, check out this site
and
this thread (maybe first)

Do you have the whole AS-101 cabinets or just the drivers? Green baskets and covers? 416-8a and 811's.

These are great speakers, very efficient, and capable of filling a large room with full sound.

I'm no expert, but I believe these speakers were designed to be used with tube amps that, (at the time) produced a "smiley face" frequency response. In other words, not the flat line FR that modern amps generally produce, so if you're using a SS amp, you may feel the need to bi-amp, equalize, or add a tweeter to get a stronger bass and that "snap" in the HF.

Once you get them hooked up, you may never part with them, but if you do, let me know. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.