passive 'eq' idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had this thought that may be kinda fun - possibly kinda stupid. I'm looking to build my first 3-way speaker (bookshelf style) and I wondered if I could effectively hook up a resistor to a potentiometer and create a passive 'eq' by increasing the resistance of the W, M, and T's signal individually. This, of course, after setting the drivers to match each other within the crossover from the start. It would effectively be 'balanced' at 0 (from a measurement standpoint) and I could decrease an individual driver's volume, by increasing its effective ohm rating, at the twist of a knob. Thoughts?

You can only "subtract" signal when doing this. Which means you have to now raise wattage output to compensate for loss of signal. I did a pretty hefty baffle step compensation on a center channel project that made it really nice and flat, but it dropped the output considerably on the speaker overall. Which then made it harder to match with the other speakers in the system.

Where as an active EQ could boost the signal, thus keeping overall speaker output at the same level.

Also, most people are limited by wattage or the ability to raise each channel independently. So reducing volume is not practical, as it's already precious.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.