Crossover/Speaker Design Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

right now I´m starting a new Project. My aim is to build a new passive Reference-Monitor. As of right now I started designing the crossover and Speaker and would love to get your opinion and Feedback.

This is how it Looks right now.
Monitore 2 Wege - Album on Imgur

For the Amp I want to use this one:

the t.amp PM40C Endstufenmodul – Musikhaus Thomann

Could that project work? I know nobody can surely say it will work, but I want to know if my concept makes sense/has potential...

The Box has a total volume of about 14 litres and I want to uild in a BR with 1,5" Diameter and 6" length. (That´s what the Woofer Descr. suggests, With that I will get a res at 50hz and that will hopefully work against the last dip at around 50Hz and clear it a bit up)

Just want to get some opinions before I start Building it. I know simulations are only approximations....

Thanks in advance Benni ;)

Hi, it doesn't say anywhere what these drivers are and what you did with frd/zma files.
A reference monitor would probably deserve a reference amplifier and this amp of yours does not look like one. I would look for a good deal on class ab, classic 3 stage design topology.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the frequency response you get won't really match the crossover simulation, because the baffle will affect the response of the woofer/midrange, and to a lesser extent, the tweeter. Ideally, you should build the cabinet next and then make measurement of FRD files of the drivers to get responses that include the baffle effect. Then design the crossover with those.

Keep in mind that the frequency response you get won't really match the crossover simulation, because the baffle will affect the response of the woofer/midrange, and to a lesser extent, the tweeter. Ideally, you should build the cabinet next and then make measurement of FRD files of the drivers to get responses that include the baffle effect. Then design the crossover with those.

Yeah thats sort of what i was planning to do. I was just wantingto know if I have a correct understanding of how crossovers work. So can u tell me do you think this Project has Potential? Because with this Project i want to try to Build Studio Monitors that deserve the name.

I would order the Parts the Next couple of days then... build the cab then start measuring and then redesign the crossover

Thanks Benni ;)

Last edited:
There is an obvious error with tweeter zma of the raw driver from your XSim snapshot. Correct the tracing to look like a 4 ohm unit by entering the top value on y-axis as 16 ohm, not 160 ohm.

This is actually really Good! I also did a wrong impedance of the Woofer too! That would mean I miscalculated by a factor of 10 creating a Perfect impedance of around 4 right?

Do you think the mini Amp t.amp pm40c is strong enough for one Speaker?��

I think I'm gonna buy the woofers the next days! I will then start measuring the drivers and slightly redesign the crossover!

Thank you! You have helped me a ton! :)

Last edited:
This is actually really Good! I also did a wrong impedance of the Woofer too! That would mean I miscalculated by a factor of 10 creating a Perfect impedance of around 4 right?

Do you think the mini Amp t.amp pm40c is strong enough for one Speaker?��

I think I'm gonna buy the woofers the next days! I will then start measuring the drivers and slightly redesign the crossover!

Thank you! You have helped me a ton! :)

Whoops... Seems like I messed up a bit .... gonna try and fix it

There is an obvious error with tweeter zma of the raw driver from your XSim snapshot. Correct the tracing to look like a 4 ohm unit by entering the top value on y-axis as 16 ohm, not 160 ohm.

Ok.... been working now on the Crossover ;)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

This is what it looks like! I think I came pretty close... even improved it a little!

Crossover at around 2Khz - 2.3Khz! The Impedance also fits! I´m pretty happy with the Simulation results! Gonna buy the parts in the next couple of days and then start measuring! But honestly I think the Approximation looks super solid!

Also gonna go for a better Amp like you said ;) Gonna look for one that will fit in a rack ;)!

Really appreciate your help!
(The Impedance in the super low end Looks a bit messed up... I guess i traced badly but it has nothing to do with the crossover ;))

Last edited:
Gave it a quick try just to arrive at an allround solution. 14 litres, vent 1.5" by 4". Assummed the woofer was farther 0.75" than tweeter. When you start measuring, you will redo the simulation with your own data. I have included baffle step response along the lines of your enclosure dimensions.

Attachments

• Design in general.png
    Design in general.png
    79 KB · Views: 75
The values are not so important since we have not started the actual design yet but indicate a possible course of action. That the woofer was delayed in XSim means that when your drivers (w and tw) are installed into a flat baffle, then normally the tweeter acoustic center is considered to be closer to the mic than woofer's, so we instruct the software to put the woofer some distance away, farther away from mic.

I´m thinking about a pretty normal design. Like the ATC SCM 20. I feel like the woofer should probably be in the middle and the Tweeter should be on top. The Bass-Reflex should go underneath the woofer.

Since I´m moving right now I am not going to be able to order the parts until like next week. The Design right now seems super solid. Gonna go more in depth with it like next week. :D thanks for your help again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.